hysterectomy and bypass

LThomas967
on 1/29/13 11:30 pm

Has anyone had a complete hysterectomy either before or after gastric bypass? My OBGYN wants me to go on hormone replacement and honestly I am afraid to take them. However, I do think I may need them, ugh... My weight loss has been extremely slow after my bypass (4.5 months ago) do you think the hormone levels being off may contribute to my slow weight loss? Maybe taking the replacement will take care of the weight loss and other issues??

robyn_fresh
on 1/29/13 11:34 pm
RNY on 12/18/12

My sister had a complaete hysterectomy about 3 months prior to her bypass 2 years ago. She has lost over 200 lbs and maintaining wonderfully.  She had the hormone replacement though. You should probably go with it.

Lori F.
on 1/29/13 11:37 pm - St. Clair Shores, MI
RNY on 12/27/12
I had a partial hysterectomy. But I do know that hormone imbalances will affect weight loss.

Follow me @ www.bariatrickitchen.com  My Progress, Recipes and Things I learn along the way
HW: 375   ​SW: 342  GW:  140  HT: 5'7"  

Vdekker
on 1/29/13 11:42 pm - Mt
RNY on 12/21/12

I had a complete hysterectomy 6 years ago and could not take hormones so I found a pharmacist that compounded hormones and have taken them for 5 years.  Since my surgery in December I have not been taking them either and feel great.  I see my Family Dr. today and we will decide if I should go back on them or not.  Premerine was not my friend and I am so glad to be off of it. Good Luck

AnnaFrahm
on 1/29/13 11:42 pm - MN

I had a complete hysterectomy before bypass and have been taking estrogen ever since.  I have lost weight steadily since surgery and have had no problems.  The hysterectomy was actually one of the deciding factors for me in having the surgery because since it I have had trouble losing weight since it.  Feel free to message me with any questions.

jeterway
on 1/30/13 12:14 am
I assume by complete you also mean your ovaries were removed as well since that is where most of your hormones are produced. I had that a few years before my gb. I could not take estrogen due to my having the brca1 gene mutation. My weight loss post gb seemed normal. I lost a little over 100 pounds post gb in the first year. As you lose the weight, there is also estrogen that is released from the fat cells as the body stores estrogen there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/30/13 12:28 am - OH

I had a hysterectomy way back in 1995, but they left my ovaries (one of which was removed in 2003 or 2004), so I had one ovary when I had my RNY and I cannot take hormone replacement because of a significant history of blood clots.

I did not find that having hormone levels that were slightly low affected my weight loss.  It might partially account for why it took me 20 months to lose all 190 pounds, though.  My weight loss slowed to a literal crawl alert the first year.  It should NOT affect how much you lose in the end, though.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

cajungirl
on 1/30/13 2:43 am

I had a complete hysterectomy after my RNY.  I was already at goal so I can't say if it would slow things down.  I will say I tried not to be on hormones and went stir crazy, emotions ALL.OVER.THE.PLACE.  I choose to get on hormones I was miserable.  The hormones have not affected my weight loss.  Hysterectomy was in 2009, 4 years after WLS.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

LThomas967
on 1/30/13 5:50 am

Thanks so much to everyone for taking the time to reply to my note, it's greatly appreciated. I will post again after I see how I make out with the doc!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 550 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 533 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 229 views
Recent Topics