Vitamins prior to surgery

RoxyFoxy
on 2/2/13 5:50 am - FL

My surgery is scheduled for March 5th,  are there any vitamins I should be taking now prior to surgery? I am reading about hair loss and getting scared of that.

Jen S.
on 2/2/13 6:11 am

I took vitamins up until 3 weeks before surgery. My vit D level was extremely low so I had to take that but I also took a multi and calcium supplement. My surgeon didn't tell me I had to, I just did it to prepare myself for life after surgery. I think it helped. You should check with your surgeon though to find out when to stop taking them before your surgery.

campingmama
on 2/2/13 6:50 am - IN

My surgeon recommends 1000-1200 mg calcium citrate, 5000 Vit D, a good multi vitamin, B complex PLUS B1 and to increase our protein intake.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

I will care for my body so that I can feel the pleasure of being fit & fully alive as I grow older.                  

tgs1420
on 2/2/13 6:53 am - WI

I read Today we can only absorb 600 mg calcium at a time, how do you take yours ?

campingmama
on 2/3/13 8:06 am - IN

I take 500 mg twice a day with a Vit D.

I take it about 2 hours before or after my multi-vitamin 

I will care for my body so that I can feel the pleasure of being fit & fully alive as I grow older.                  

tgs1420
on 2/2/13 6:50 am - WI

were you taking any before ?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/2/13 6:58 am - OH

My surgeon recommended taking the two multivitamins and increasing protein intake before surgery.  

Additional vitamins -- pre-op OR post-op -- won't prevent you from losing hair.  Google "telogen effluvium" to understand what it is and why vitamins and special shampoos/conditioners won't help.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

thynnlynn
on 2/2/13 7:05 am - MI

I was told to take one multvitamin daily pre-surg, then two after and it would not hurt to beef up on the protein.

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 2/2/13 7:49 am

Prior to surgery I have blood drawn.  My Vitamin D and B1 were low so they had me take them prior to surgery along with a multi.

I also started on biotin prior to surgery since it is to promote hair growth.

Winnie

RoxyFoxy
on 2/2/13 9:37 am - FL
Thanks everyone. I only take synthroid for my thyroid and at one time I was taking vitamin D but stopped.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 341 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 263 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 140 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?