Which Surgery?

kimberlygpena
on 2/19/13 12:23 am - Angleton, TX
RNY on 09/24/13

I am so excited that our new insurance at work covers WLS, they cover both the RNY and the VSG. My surgeon stated that I am a good candidate for but but I am still undecided. My question to everyone is Why did you choose RNY?

poet_kelly
on 2/19/13 1:07 am - OH

Mainly because my insurance would not pay for the sleeve.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Turtle Lynn
on 2/19/13 1:18 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

RNY was the only option available to me when I had my LapBand removed.  I had severe esophageal damage from years of reflux caused by the Band.  The sleeve is another what they call high pressure surgery, like the Band and there was concern that the reflux wound continue.  RNY actually cured my reflux.  I also wasn't a candidate for the Duodenal Switch, which was my first choice, for multiple health reasons. 

I was also hoping that with having the RNY my diabetes would go into remission.  I have been a diabetic for approximately 20 years so my chances of remission are not as good as someone who has not had it as long.  However, I am off of my insulin shots and managing my diabetes with just Metformin and diet, and my numbers are fantastic.  I am ALMOST in remission.  I still have some more weight to lose and I am hoping that will do the trick.

You may want to post over on the VSG forum as well and talk to the people over there to see why they chose their surgery and how it is working for them.  

Hope this helps!

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

charjames
on 2/19/13 1:24 am - PA
RNY on 10/30/12

I initially looked into lap band but after meeting with the surgeon & doing my research I decided RNY - more likely to loss the most weight & I want to be successful so I figured if I'm going to do it, I'm going for the gold! 

thynnlynn
on 2/19/13 2:15 am - MI

I have a failed lap band and my insurance only covers RnY, but I really think it is the best choice for me.

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

cajungirl
on 2/19/13 3:51 am

I chose RNY because at that time I definitely knew the lapband was not a good choice for me.  Today I thank my lucky stars I didn't choose the band.  If I were doing it today I'd possibly still choose RNY but maybe the DS.  I was a self pay so I could have chosen whatever I wanted but I'll admit I didn't know about the DS (and there weren't any surgeons doing it in Houston at that time, where I was living).

The VSG is a good surgery, although I don't think it would be a good choice for me.  I NEEDED the malabsoption of WLS, even if it isn't long term it gave me the push I needed to lose weight. 

Out of curiosity I see you have Dr. Spivak listed as your surgeon is he back in Houston?  I know he had moved several years ago.  Good luck on your journey.  I'll also recommend you visit the Texas Message board, it isn't as active as it was when I first had surgery but the people on there are very helpful.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

kimberlygpena
on 2/19/13 5:00 am - Angleton, TX
RNY on 09/24/13

I have had this profile for such a long time but to answer your question no Dr. Spivak is not in Houston anymore but I will be using Dr. Jakakumar. I am on the fence as of right now, doing my consultation he stated that I am a candidate for either the VSG or the RnY. Thank you for your response.