How to handle family dinners during liquid pre-op?

groovykg
on 2/18/13 6:20 am - VA
RNY on 02/27/13

I have to do liquid diet for 1 week starting this Wednesday.  I have stockpiled several things in the freezer for the post-op time when I don't feel like messing with dinner, so I'd hate to waste them during the pre-op time.  I also don't think I'll care about food post-op.  

But, pre-op makes me a bit nervous. I have a husband and 3 small children, 6, 4, & 2 yrs.  Kids are fairly easy with chicken nuggets, hot dogs, etc., and broccoli and rice or whatever.  Hubby is a bit more discerning.  I'm sure he will be understanding if I tell him I will likely want to gnaw my arm off this week and would prefer to not have anything terribly yummy in the house.  The only things I can think that won't tempt me at all would be any kind of bean or something like lamb.  I think TJ's may have a frozen lamb kind of thing, idk.  Should I just go get a bunch of heat and serve stuff from Trader Joe's so I don't have to deal with him?  I'm not normally interested in hot dogs and noodles, but will this liquid thing be having me salivate over dumb things like lettuce?   

What should I expect?  How would you handle food prep for a family?

poet_kelly
on 2/18/13 6:26 am - OH

How about letting hubby take care of dinners for one week?  That seems reasonable to me.  Or, let him eat chicken nuggets or hot dogs or whatever the kids are eating. 

Post op, you have to deal with family dinners, but you won't be on liquids for long.  I think it's OK to just stay away from the table temporarily if you need to.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

bbearsmama
on 2/18/13 7:50 am
RNY on 02/28/13

I was thinking the same thing, Kelly!  I am always in charge of food at my house and I have already told my husband that he is in complete charge of feeding himself and my kids during this transitional time.  I think it would be very hard to be preparing food for others while being on liquids only. 

Do you think your husband will be okay with that?  Mine totally understands.  I start my liquid diet on Thursday!!

Good luck!

Pam :)

"B" bears' mama from Texas
Follow my journey on youtube: "bbearsmama" 

SW: 210 CW: 123.6

bbearsmama
on 2/18/13 7:53 am
RNY on 02/28/13

Oops! Just read your reply to Kelly. That would be hard. I agree with her-just feed the kiddos! :)

"B" bears' mama from Texas
Follow my journey on youtube: "bbearsmama" 

SW: 210 CW: 123.6

groovykg
on 2/18/13 6:35 am - VA
RNY on 02/27/13

He doesn't get home until 7pm and I'm a SAHM, so I usually feed children around 5:30 and he reheats a plate around 8pm.  

poet_kelly
on 2/18/13 6:53 am - OH

OK.  Then you feed the kids and when he gets home, he can make himself a sandwich or microwave a frozen dinner or something for himself.  And go with really easy things for the kids - they'll be happy with cereal or PB&J.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

angeleigh
on 2/18/13 6:35 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

Ohh i man I had a hard time the first few days of the liquid diet. But i had to do 2 weeks. I did very simple things, grilled cheese with Ramon, spaghetti, frozen pizza, hot dogs, yellow rice with canned chicken. The less time i had to spend cooking was the best thing in the world. It sucks, just drink your shake, dont taste anything, and if its to much just ask your husband to pick something for you to toss in the oven.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

brenlee1965
on 2/18/13 8:20 am - New Berlin, NY
No problem....you got this if you have a crockpot! I throw frozen meat in with a bunch of veggies and or cream soups and tada.....He has a meal when he gets home!

He doesn't know how to cook? If you have to make things and it smells good, just keep running this through your head...."I am doing this for me and my health and so I am here for my family", "This will be so worth the hardship", "I can do this", use positive affirmations and your Will to want a better life will help you make it through!

Good Luck. The journey is SOOOOOOOO worth it!

Bren                
meeshelle
on 2/18/13 8:36 am
RNY on 03/04/13

i only just started liquid diet yesterday and mine if for 2 weeks :) and what i did was i made a beef stew for him and a shepherds pie so he has a few meals. he doesnt mind leftovers and will eat til gone next weekend i will do something else simple like that. he can even go to a chinese buffett and get the take away and eat for 2-3 days, he is not a big eater at all good luck

Visit my blog as I travel this new developing road. :)

http://iveweightedalongtimeforthis.blogspot.com/

lgialouris
on 2/18/13 8:47 am - Corpus Christi, TX
RNY on 10/15/12

I wasn't even hungry for the food my first 2 weeks. I drank my shakes, and having the food around me didn't bother me. It might bother me more now - 4 months out - but I still don't have a major problem eating healthier while the rest of the family eats their favorite stuff. As long as I have something for myself - I'm fine. Don't focus so much on the FOOD. Focus instead on how wonderful you're going to look & feel once you lose your weight! 

Linda 

Roux-en-Y 10/15/2012

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 487 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 378 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 371 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 312 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?