6 days post-op and not feeling well UGH!

Kendra C.
on 2/24/13 5:31 am - Wiesbaden, Germany

So I had surgery on the 19th  and was discharged home yesterday. I have been an emotional wreck yesterday and today. I'm crying over small non-important things. Okay fine I can admit it has to be the buyers remorse. My problem is that I have terrible tummy bloating and I can feel it into my back. This is not something I suffered from while in the hospital. Oh and BTW my surgeon does not give pain meds after discharge, only allowed Tylenol. I know right. I would like to know if I can use a heating pad to help maybe with pain. Thanks in advance. 

Owlet
on 2/24/13 5:34 am

I bought a heating pad that has automatic turn off so I don't worry. I use that all the time ( 6 weeks post-op). I had the same pain in my back, it does get better. Walk walk walk, set an alarm to do some laps around your room. It really does help!

Kendra C.
on 2/24/13 5:44 am - Wiesbaden, Germany

Owlet,

thank you for the help. I have not walked as much today due to catching up on all of my homework I missed this passed week. I will definitely get on it :)

Megan K.
on 2/24/13 6:04 am
RNY on 02/18/13

You may want to contact your surgeons office tomorrow (if you are still feeling the pain).  Sometimes it's not standard to provide pain meds unless you're experiencing pain warranting pain meds.  Call and let him/her know that the Tylenol is not managing the pain and would like his recommendations to correct that. Let him/her know if it is interfering with your recover (unable to consume required water/protein, walking, or what not) if it is interfering.

I hope you get feeling better soon!!!!

JaneJetson60
on 2/24/13 6:56 am
RNY on 05/07/12

I disagree with you on this issue about standard use of pain medications. Most WLS surgeons DO send their patients home with pain medication.  The OP is one of the very few on here that I have heard to come home without pain meds.  To me it would be barberic and absolutely no need to withhold pain medications to a patient, especially after surgery.  Tylenol?  Seriously?  Some patients can do that but it is not the norm.  Jane

pattyjonichols
on 2/24/13 7:06 am

Keep your chin up--it will get much better in about a month.

I'm 3 months out and when they tell you DRINK WATER, Keep liquids going all the time THEY MEAN IT.  I hate water, so I didn't get enough each day and that lead me to an ulcer and dehydration.  Back to the hospital I went last week.  I'll have to have IV's for a few more months... BUT By Golly today I got down 62 oz of liquids.  That's hope.

DO YOU HAVE A Family Doctor looking over you also?  If so ask him for a prescription.  My PCP gave me Hydrocodine (use it sparingly)  Extra Strength Tylenol is better.

YES by all mean use a heating pad or warm bath...try to sit and relax.

One more thing.  I fully understand buyers remorse.   Mine started about one month ago...but just recently I had a big breakthrough - these are my FIRSTS in many years:

• Sat in a normal chair (no oversized chairs anymore)
  • I sat in a BOOTH at the restaurant for the first time in 20 years
  • My jean actually fell to the floor when I stood up and walked 5 ft. (You'll love shopping at thrift stores for awhile.)
  • I tried on pants and I'm now weaingr a 2XX  and before last Thanksgiving I was a 5XXXXX.  
  • People compliment me now on my appearance!
  • I can cuddle with my Hubby now and he can get his arms around me
  • AND MOST IMPORTANT,  My diabetic meds:  95 units of Lantus is now down to 34 units daily
  •                                                                                    ZERO Novolog any more was taking 3 shots daily
  •                                                                                   Was taking 13 pills and now I take 6
  •                                                                                  Blood Pressure always normal now
  •                                                                                  Blood Sugar levels are almost always under 110.

These are my benefits after surgery and you too can enjoy these types of benefits if you work your food program, drink lot's of liquids and stay positive.   3 months after surgery and I'm down 55 pounds.

I wish you the best 

Patty Jo Nichols

a/k/a  PJ

Sherrie P.
on 2/24/13 8:56 am
RNY on 02/06/13

OMG -- you poor thing. That is crazy. You are post op MAJOR surgery and having to deal with it without pain meds is simply terrible.

I felt like crap ON the pain meds!!!

I would call them.

I also turned into a flaming mega ***** around day 4... luckily it passed.  My hubby was on the receiving end poor guy.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

chickenoregg
on 2/24/13 2:28 pm - Portland, OR
RNY on 02/26/13
Probably no bath until your incinsion(s) are healed.

I'd call about getting pain meds!

Feel better.

Surgery (RNY) scheduled for Feb 26, 2013

Kendra C.
on 2/24/13 5:20 pm - Wiesbaden, Germany

Thank you all for all of your information. I am heading to my health clinic now and will see my PCM. 

Kel0830
on 2/24/13 11:57 pm - woodbridge, VA

I had surgery 2/13. MY doctor did NOT send me home with pain meds.  The first night was uncomfortable due to gas pains (took gas-x  - not sure if it worked.. ). Tylenol Jr, chewable  and a hot shower and lots of rest took away all other pains. I had my surgeryy on Wednesday - and was at work Tuesday.   Maybe I'm one of the lucky few..   but it does get better.  I've had lots of crying episodes.  Mostly over my desire to eat frosted flakes (I know, I'm pathetic)  But it has gotten easier. My desire to eat - just to eat - has lessened.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 288 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 209 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 279 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 209 views