Thyroid Med (Tirosint) - Anyone on it?

gbtesq
on 2/27/13 4:50 am
RNY on 12/10/12

My endocrinologist changed me from Synthroid 125 mcg to Tirosint 125 mcg.

First, this new drug is a gel filled capsule (levothyroxine sodium).  I recall reading somewhere that RYN patients do not absorb gel filled capsules (ie Vitamin D).  So, I am wondering if I am really absorbing the meds. 

Also, I have been feeling REALLY exhausted and it makes me question about this change. 

My next appointment is March 15th so I'll really be dragging by then.  I'm considering switching back to my normal pill since I still have some.  I am about 11 weeks post-op and I am finally getting close to my target protein and fluid levels.  So, I am eager to start feeling normal again.  The most that I can do in the gym is walk right now.  Otherwise, getting on the elliptical, etc. exhausts me for days.  I really wished we had just left things alone for now.  Maybe look into changing meds later - if at all.  If its not broke, why fix it, right?!?!?

Anyway, does anyone know anything about TIROSINT?  Anyone else taking it?  If so, is it working for you?

Thanks!!!

Day_dream_believer
on 2/27/13 5:38 am

Why did your Dr. change your meds?  I wouldn't switch without talking to your endocrinologist.  Are you doing labs before your appointment on the 15th?  

gbtesq
on 2/27/13 5:43 am
RNY on 12/10/12

Yes, I am doing labs before the appointment.  The new PA in the practice decided to try this 'new' version of thyroid med because she emphasized that you wouldn't have to wait as long to eat afterwards.  Also, she gave me a coupon for a free month's supply.  I now feel like she, being new, was trying to impress with her cutting edge knowledge without really getting to know me or my situation.  This occurred during my first visit back to the office post-RYN.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 469 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 428 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 360 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 444 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 360 views