Did you need insulin post-op?

_Islander_
on 3/3/13 9:56 pm
RNY on 03/11/13

Hi. I have a question about insulin. Last year, I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and I'm currently on Metfomin Extended release and Lantus Insulin 40u daily. I'm on day 4 of my pre-op liquid diet and my blood sugar levels are dropping. This morning it was 87 and my average for the last 7 days is 102. I've begun to decrease my insulin.

I have read that many people leave the hospital off insulin after gastric bypass surgery. I'm hoping to leave the hospital off insulin too and continue the Metformin until no longer needed. I have plenty of Metformin left, but I'm running low on Lantus insulin and  I'd have to buy almost 6 week supply. This stuff ain't cheap and I'd hate to buy it if I'm not gonna need it.

What were your experiences post-op? Did you leave the hospital off insulin or were you weaned off?

baldysmoltzy
on 3/4/13 12:25 am

Pre-op I was on both the lantus and the quicker acting novolog.  My discharge instructions took me completely off of the novolog, and reduced my lantus dose by 50%, with instructions to follow up with my PCP in 2 months.  I was also on metformin and that was discontinued too.  I'm now 3 weeks post op, and my BS levels have been fine.  I hope to go off the insulin completely when I see my PCP in a little over a month. 

Having spent nearly $300 on prescription refills just before surgery on medications that I now hope to never have to take again, I wish that I had called my PCP and asked for a very short term refill prescription so that I didn't waste so much $$.  That's what I'd do if I were you. 

mbear108
on 3/4/13 1:51 am

Sadly, I'm still on insulin, but I need a lot less.  I had been on Metaformin for more than 20 years and on insulin for about 2.  I was still not in good control--but now I am.

I am sure I am better off for the surgery, and I think you will do better than me--my poor pancreas must be tired!  
But don't be unprepared, or too disappointed if you still need it.

ncbrwneyedgurl
on 3/4/13 4:29 am - Raleigh, NC
RNY on 02/27/13

My hubby had one shot of insulin in the hospital and has not had to take anything since then. He was on Metformin but did not have to take insulin shots. He had surgery in November.

Best of luck!

Jennifer in NC (banded 09/08, band removed 11/19/12, approved for RNY 02/14/13, Surgery 2/27/13)

Mrs_Stimpy
on 3/4/13 4:39 am
RNY on 12/20/12

I took Metformin twice a day at breakfast and at supper.  I also took Novolog insulin at breakfast, lunch, and supper.  I also took Lantus twice a day.

My surgery was 12/20/12.  I still take Metformin twice a day, but I no longer need Novolog at all and I take Lantus just once a day, about a quarter of what I used to take.

I expect at some point to be off Lantus too.  I also reduced my need for my L-thyroxine for thyroid from 150 mg to 100 mg per day.  I LOVE THE HEALTH BENEFITS RNY GAVE ME!!!  My last blood pressure reading was 110 over 62.  I feel so much better!

Good luck to all of us on our journeys! 

Highest - 222 / Pre-Surgery - 215 / Goal 150