Found out at check-in that surgery was cancelled...

Mandarin15
on 3/6/13 1:36 am

We made the 45 minute trip to the hospital, only to be told at check-in that my surgeon had canceled my surgery.  I tested positive for a bad bowel bacteria, C. Diff.  The antibiotics with surgery would have made it worse -  even life-threatening.  Good to stop the procedure, bad timing.

Now I find myself very depressed.  We have a new surgery date, in about a month, but with all the emotions leading up to surgery, I feel really let down.  And I'll have to go through them all again, including the 2-week liquid diet(!).

I'm on meds and then will have a procedure (TMI for here) to get rid of the C. Diff. infection.  They are positive it will work, and that I will be ready for surgery on April 1st.  Not sure that's the best day for surgery!  The April Fools joke opportunities will be endless.

Anyway, a lot of emotions to deal with over the next few weeks...

Amanda

Day_dream_believer
on 3/6/13 1:42 am

I am really sorry this happened.  It is good they caught it before you went into surgery, but  it has to be upsetting.  The good news is they did not cancel it all together.  Believe it or not a few months from now this will be a little bump in the road.  

Mandarin15
on 3/6/13 3:21 am

I sure hope so!  Thank you for your kind words.

poet_kelly
on 3/6/13 1:42 am - OH

Did they just test for the bacteria today at check in?

I'm sorry to hear that.  I would be really disappointed myself.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 3/6/13 1:43 am - OH

Oh!  And if you eat a low carb, low fat diet between now and the new surgery date, will you still need to do another liquid diet?  The point of the liquid diet is to shrink the liver, but if your liver is shrunk now, and you eat low fat, low carb for the next four weeks, it should stay shrunk, I would think.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mandarin15
on 3/6/13 2:35 am

Surprisingly enough, I'm not craving high-fat foods, so it should be easier.  I will have to be prudent for a couple of weeks, but then they suggest I go back on the liquid diet.  *sigh*

Mandarin15
on 3/6/13 2:33 am

No, I had diarrhea over the weekend and called the Drs office to report.  I had C. Diff about a year ago, so they tested me for it on Monday, and the results came back Tuesday morning just before surgery...

OH2012
on 3/6/13 1:44 am - OH

I'm sorry for your disappointment!!!

Try to reconcile the disappointment with the blessing of finding out about the problem now!!!

Prov. 3:5,6

Mandarin15
on 3/6/13 2:36 am

Yes, things could have gotten really bad really quickly had we gone through with the surgery.  At first I was kicking myself for reporting my symptoms, but then realized that it was a good thing that I did.

twopoundsaweek
on 3/6/13 2:48 am - Wadsworth, OH
RNY on 03/28/13

Wow..yes it was a good thing you told them about the symptoms. I can only imagine the dissappointment.

Surgery Date 3/28/13

Follow my story at www.twopoundsaweek.com

HW - 435  SW - 405 CW - 320ish Don't have access to a scale right now.   

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 294 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 220 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 288 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 147 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 220 views