passing out...HELP!

big42long
on 3/11/13 1:35 am - OH
So this Thursday I wound up going to the ER because I passed out in the middle of the grocery store! They did an EKG and bloodwork and everything came back normal. I asked if it could be hypoglycemia because I get hot and really sweaty and things start to go black. The ER Dr said no because I'm not and have never been diabetic. He said some people just pass out for no reason. Yes they did check for vertigo and said that wasn't it either. They gave me some fluids and sent me home. It happened to me again fri, sat and sun. Has anybody else experienced this or know what could be causing it? By the way I'm 7.5 months post RNY!

obsessedoveranumbe
r

on 3/11/13 1:37 am

Let your doctor know it happened repeatedly. Keep us posted. Praying for you. 

Moorilla
on 3/11/13 1:38 am - TN
RNY on 03/12/13

Oh my.  What a scary experience, and probably quite humiliating in public as well.  I don't have any history or suggestions to share with you, but I do hope you get some answers soon. 

bubbylucy
on 3/11/13 1:46 am - Raleigh, NC

Your doctor obviously does not know much about gastric bypass, as you do not have to have been a diabetic to have reactive hypoglycemia. You should check your blood sugar when you start to have those symptoms. Passing out daily is not normal.

Audra

Weighting2Bskinny
on 3/11/13 1:47 am
Oh my gosh! I get feelings like that too! I haven't actually passed out but I feel like I'm going to. I don't know what it is.

GOD BLESS YOU            
poet_kelly
on 3/11/13 1:51 am - OH

The ER doc said some people just pass out for no reason?  Really? 

You CAN have hypoglycemia even if you've never been diabetic.  I've never been diabetic and my blood sugar has dropped as low as 37 (that's the lowest it's ever been when I've tested it).  I would definitely see another doctor, hopefully one who has a clue.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/11/13 2:00 am

RH. time to get a blood sugar meter... I was not diabetic but developed RH after RNY

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MrsLitch
on 3/11/13 2:03 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

The ER doctor needs to go back to school. I was hypoglycemic for 20 years prior to surgery, had reactive hypoglycemia for 2 years just prior to surgery. I got it while pregnant and was told it would go away after I gave birth. It never did. The lowest I tested was 40 and the nurse at my job at the time wasn't sure how i was still working. I have passed out from it and learned to control it by diet. It is manageable. I'd go to your regular pcp and explain what is happening. Pick up a blood monitor and check to see what your sugar levels are when you start feeling the way you describe. You may also want to check blood pressure. With many of us we run low after surgery and I know I get light headed and ready to pass out at times when mine dips very low.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

big42long
on 3/11/13 2:07 am - OH
Thanks everybody! I will go get a monitor to check it. I thought the er dr was nuts...glad I'm not the only one.

sknd34
on 3/11/13 6:57 am - West Fargo, ND

Sounds like reactive hypoglycemia....I have been as low as 30 with my only symptom being a stronger than normal heart beat.

Time for a glucose monitor for you.

Original weight 285. Lowest weight 210. Revision weight 249. Size 24W
Current weight 210 as of February 23, 2012!!!
Current size 16-18 as of February 25, 2012!!!
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 487 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 378 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 371 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 312 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 110 views
Recent Topics