newbie having questions!

Karen Wood
on 3/17/13 7:29 am - IN

I am new on here I have started this journey and dont know what it all means. I went for the seminar in January I went to meet surgeion and did my weight and measurments, seen nutritionist. Dr did not put me on diet yet. I went to my group session and now tomorrow I have my physciatric review. They told me at that time I will schedule my pre op visit ok, what does that mean. if I pass my physciatric review what happens next? I am 230 lbs. I have had to maintain this weight no gaining. I have quit smoking and stopped drinking pop. Am I on the right track?

momof2boyz
on 3/17/13 7:40 am - TX

I initially visited the surgeon. Then did the psychiatric eval about a week later. Then met with the nutritionist. Then I needed an EGD (stomach scope) to check on my reflux. After all that was done, it was all sent into the insurance company for their final review. That took only about 10 days. As soon as I had final approval from insurance, I scheduled my pre-op appt. I was started on a liquid diet for one week prior to surgery and my surgery is this Tuesday, the 19th.

A lot depends on your insurance company's requirements. But it sounds like you are on the right track. I wish you well!

poet_kelly
on 3/17/13 7:40 am - OH

Since I don't know what your insurance policy requires or what other tests or things your surgeon requires, I can't tell you exactly what happens next.  You can call your surgeon's office to find out.

In addition to a psych eval, my surgeon required that I attend a class about nutrition at his office, that I have an endoscopy done, that I have a physical with my primary care physician, and then a week before surgery I did all my pre op stuff at the hospital: blood work, EKG, chest x-ray, meeting with anesthesiologist, etc.  Some surgeons also want patients to have sleep study, appointments with cardiologist or pulmonologist, or other things.

Just give you surgeon's office a call to find out what's next.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

daisy142
on 3/17/13 8:22 am - TX
I am new also. I saw everyone last week, PA, Surgeon, Nutrutionalist, financial, & insurance. My insurance (UHC) requires a 6 month medically supervised diet, so u have started that. The surgeon & PA require a upper GI for my reflux, a sleep study for my snoring & gallbladder ultrasound. All of which are scheduled for the next 4 weeks. I have to go to see the Nutritutionalist once a month for the diet and surgeon says I have to lose a minimum of 10 lbs from now to day surgery.
I have been reading a lot on OH website and have asked some questions. It is really helpful!!! For myself, I am going to go ahead and start with protein shakes for breakfast and maybe lunch because I want to get used to that eating habit so that when post surgery dictates liquid diet and high protein, I hopefully will not struggle so much.
Make sure you know exactly what your insurance requires!!
Sherrie P.
on 3/17/13 10:06 am
RNY on 02/06/13

I would read the book Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies. It was a great resource!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 223 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 101 views