anti inflammatories for arthitis

meemee1966
on 3/18/13 1:11 pm - Canada

what can I take after RNY for any arthritis I may have think I have some need some anti inflammitories but I know I cant take them any advice will be appreciated

noftessa0401
on 3/18/13 1:14 pm - San Diego, CA
RNY on 12/27/12
I think steroids and pain pills are your only option, but hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about will chime in.

HW: 274 | SW: 232 | CW: 137 | Goal: 145 (ticker includes a 42 pound loss pre-op) | Height: 5'4"

M1: -24 (205) | M2: -14 (191) | M3: -11 (180) | M4: -7 (173) | M5: -7 (166) | M6: -8 (158) | M7: -11 (147) | M8: -2 (145) | M9: -3 (142) | M10: -2 (140) | M11: -4 (136) | M12: -2 (134) | M13: -0 (134) | M14: -3 (131) | M15: +4 (135) | M16: +2 (137)

poet_kelly
on 3/18/13 1:33 pm - OH

Yep, steroids (recommended for short term use only, most of the time) and narcotic pain meds are about it.  Pain meds don't help with inflammation, of course, but they do help with the pain.  You can also take Tylenol, if that helps, but I don't think it usually does much for arthritis. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

roblette
on 3/18/13 1:50 pm

My regular doc prescribed me an NSAID cream to rub on my achey joints. I told him i didn't think i could take nsaids, and he said that since they're not going thru my stomach that this cream will be ok. thoughts?

poet_kelly
on 3/18/13 2:00 pm - OH

He is wrong.  NSAIDS don't damage the stomach when they go through the stomach.  When NSAIDS enter the blood stream, it causes the lining of the stomach (and that includes both the pouch and the old stomach, and oral NSAIDS never go through the old stomach because nothing does anymore) to thin out.  This can cause ulcers.  It does not matter how the NSAIDS enter the blood stream - orally, by injection by IV, by patch, by cream.  All carry the risk of ulcers, including ulcers in the old stomach, which are difficult to diagnose and treat.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

roblette
on 3/18/13 2:06 pm

Thanks Kelly. I thought I remembered reading something to that effect prior to my surgery. I only used it once and felt bad about using it :-( 

Guess I'll stick to hot baths, ice, tylenol, and occasional narcotics.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/18/13 2:16 pm - OH

Kelly is correct about the systemic action of NSAIDs regardless of how they are administered.  Some physicians are allowing things like Voltaren gel based on preliminary studies that show that only a small percentage of the drug is absorbed into the bloodstream (only 6% according to the manufacturer). Of course, that means that it is MUCH less effective at inhibiting prostaglandin production to reduce pain as well.  The same idea applies to the Flector patch.

i tried the gel before my RNY (I needed to limit NSAIDs somewhat because I take blood thinner) and it didn't do anything for my knee pain.  It did help the discomfort from a few large bruises, though...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

LadyLilMax
on 3/18/13 3:09 pm - Retirement Ville, AZ

My pcp prescribed tramadol for my arthritis and if that doesn't work, I have vicodin for back up.  I have found the tramadol is working pretty well.  I find the more I move, the less achey I seem to be. So that is an incentive to move and exercise. 

God bless and if you find something that works, let us know!

RNY 12/11/12  HW:230   SW:220   GW:140   CW:130  5ft 1

mamabug70
on 3/18/13 11:17 pm - Kansas City, MO
RNY on 03/25/13
My doctor gave me a list of meds I could not take. At the bottom were two things I could take: Tylenol and Celebrex. You might ask your doctor about Celebrex.

Amy

HW 308 SW 290 CW 151 GW 150

Linda K.
on 3/19/13 1:07 am
RNY on 08/01/12

Celebrex is an NSAID.  I would not take it.

lyn