One month post op...stall?

Missstacy
on 3/19/13 2:55 pm
I am one month out tomorrow and have lost 17 lbs...that was all in the first two weeks and I have lost nothing in the last two weeks. I eat about 400 calories a day and work our daily, burning about 600 calories...the math doesn't add up that I'm not losing. I'm drinking all my water my water and getting my protein in...so I'm hoping this is just a stall and I'm not the exception and won't lose anymore...trying not to feel discouraged!
Dee.spunk
on 3/19/13 3:04 pm - Sacramento, CA
If you're only eating 400 calories and burning 600, you're putting yourself in starvation mode. You need to add more calories. But really, 17 lbs is not bad at all. You won't lose every day, or even every week. You'll lose a few weeks and then your body takes time to adjust before you start losing again.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Missstacy
on 3/19/13 3:21 pm
So I should be eating the same as I'm burning or more? I'm on soft food for another two weeks so my options are slightly limited.
Dee.spunk
on 3/19/13 11:56 pm - Sacramento, CA
Someone had posted this a while back and I kept it saved in my notes. Again, I don't remember who, maybe Multi Mom? Anyways, here's how to determine your calorie expenditure:

To Determine Your Calorie Expenditure Use The Following Formula For Women: 1,780.8 calories for me!

655 + (4.3 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years) = BMR.
1343, 286.7, 145.7= 1484

Then you have to determine your Activity Level:
-If you are Sedentary: BMR x 20 % (.2)
-If you are Lightly Active: BMR x 30 % (.3)
-If you are moderately active (You exercise 3 to 4 times per week): BMR x 40 % (.4)
-If you are very active (You exercise intensely 5 or more days per week): BMR x 50 % (.5)
-If you are extra active (You do hard labor or are in athletic training, or exercise intensely 5 or more days per week for 3 or more hours per day): BMR x 60 % (.6)

Add your Activity Level number to your BMR = Daily Calorie Expenditure.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

katmom_02
on 3/19/13 9:45 pm - Orange Park, FL
RNY on 02/20/13

I had surgery on 2/20 as well, and I am in EXACTLY the same situation as you....EXACTLY. I have lost about 20 lbs. and that is it. Nothing for the last couple of weeks. I also know EXACTLY how you feel about being a bit discouraged. I knew going into this that there would be stalls and that the first one is usually between week 2 and 3. I also knew that it would last 2-3 weeks...but knowing it and living it are two COMPLETELY different things! It's like my HEAD knows that this does normally happen to people, but my HEART is feeling discouraged.

In addition to all that, I am struggling to get in meats. I have gotten sick like 3 different times, and the last time was last night...with very moist chicken salad. I can tolerate something one day and not the next. I can get my protein in with shakes, beans, yogurt, and cheeses.

jessdivine68
on 3/20/13 12:28 am - MI
RNY on 02/26/13

I am in the exact same boat also!!!... I my surgery date was 2/26/13 and I am at a stall, I do get my protein and water in and I can only tolerate some foods. I am still in the pureed food stage. It's funny because I feel the same way or at least my pouch does, one day I can tolerate some foods, and the next I can't. I have no idea. I feel like I am very limited to what I can eat right now, and very frustrated. I don't know how I am  suppose to move on the the soft foods stage if I haven't mastered this stage. 

campingmama
on 3/20/13 12:49 am - IN

I am so sorry you all are at a stall. I had my surgery 3/1/13 and just got my first monthly cycle in 6 months. I am still losing, just very slowly, but I expect to see a stall soon. I am down a total of 25 pounds, but only 12 post op.

I am having terrible trouble getting in my protein and liquids. NOTHING tastes good. And most things make gives me nausea. I too am pretty discouraged. Let's keep doing our best, as it's all we can do. I keep telling myself this will pass.

I will care for my body so that I can feel the pleasure of being fit & fully alive as I grow older.                  

CarltonUOP
on 3/20/13 10:10 am - Livermore, CA
RNY on 02/11/13

Dr. Dutta did my RNY too! I was on 2/11. I see him on Friday for an update. Small world!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 361 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 331 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 195 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 116 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 195 views