Eating out advice!

Missstacy
on 3/27/13 10:55 am
Hi all,

I am five weeks post op and have not ventured out to eat at all yet. I was wondering when people started eating out on occasion and what or where they ate? I have some friends who want to meet up for dinner, that don't know I had the surgery and I keep putting it off because I am so nervous to eat out anywhere! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
poet_kelly
on 3/27/13 11:06 am - OH

That early out, I think they will notice you are eating very little and are on a pretty limited diet.  If you want to keep the surgery a secret, you might want to put it off a bit more.

Early out, I ate things like soup and cheese omelets when I went out to eat.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Findingme2013
on 3/27/13 11:30 am
RNY on 02/04/13

My first time out I ate grilled shrimp and do great with it! I try to avoid it just because I would rather know how my food is fixed and what all is use in preparing it.

madeformore
on 3/27/13 11:30 am - MN
RNY on 06/21/12

Chili is a good option too. You could just tell them you had a big lunch, if you really don't want them to know. Or, if your past is like mine - I was always "on a diet" - then you could just say that you are watching what you are eating and they won't really question it.

I ate out early on, but everyone I went out with knew I had surgery so it wasn't a big deal.

Amy

HW: 270   SW: 245   CW: 172  GW: 160 then we'll see  

SarahLee1969
on 3/27/13 11:55 am - NY
I had quiche, didn't eat the crust.
I was quite a bit farther out... probably closer to 3 months as I recall.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/27/13 12:43 pm - OH

I was on soft foods just a couple of days after surgery and ate out the first time at probably 3 weeks out.  I had a cup of chicken noodle soup and just drank some of the broth and then when they brought the entrees, I just had a few small bites of the baked cod that my mom ordered. Soup is a good option, but beware: cream soups in restaurants often have real cream in them and the fat may make you sick.

I agree with Kelly, BTW, that so early out it is going to be next to impossible to NOT have your friends notice how very little you are eating unless you lie and plead illness or something.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

bbearsmama
on 3/27/13 1:01 pm
RNY on 02/28/13

I have been out a few times and have had soup.

Pam :)

"B" bears' mama from Texas
Follow my journey on youtube: "bbearsmama" 

SW: 210 CW: 123.6

daphneb
on 3/27/13 4:23 pm - AK

soups are the easiest thing that early on.  If you are out and about and just want to "grab" something, I really enjoyed the refried pinto beans with cheese on top at Taco Bell.  Super easy and tasty.  It took a long time for me to be able to eat in restaurants and I still have moments where things just don't work.  I am completely honest to the waiter/waitress and tell them to not feel bad. It is what it is. 

Chicken wings were easier for me to, as long as they weren't breaded, spicy, or caked in some sauce.  However, like everything else somedays it would work, somedays it wouldn't.

Eggs were not my friend for a long time.  I still have my moments with them, but it's gotten better.  Just keep trying, sometimes your tolerance will come back. 

Today, I ate a tuna sandwich (i'm eight months out) and after three bites I was like, "Ok, this isn't working".  It just all depends on your body and the day. 

Keep trekking! Keep experimenting - kids menus are great! portions and sizes are perfect.

lizpete
on 3/27/13 8:10 pm - Marlboro, MA

I always order somethint that looks like a lot but really isn't.  My favorite is to order Mussels,Clams or Crab Legs.  They serve then in the shell so although it looks like a HUGE serving you usually actually on get about 3-4 oz of pure protein.  

Sara O.
on 3/27/13 10:16 pm - NC
RNY on 03/12/12

Soup/chili was my go-to when I was early out as well. Eventually I was able to eat small salads but not until much later. Stick to soup, just not thick creamy ones. Those will be full of fat and calories and could possibly make you feel sick.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 360 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 330 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 194 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 115 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 194 views