Could really use some support and advice...please

virvin
on 3/28/13 6:20 pm - CO

Hi, everyone.  It's been a while since I've posted as I've gone through a couple of other surgeries since my RNY.  In August, I had to have a total knee replacement.  Then just about 4 weeks ago, I had to have a vertebrae fusion in my neck.  The disc not only herniated and slipped, it slipped right into the spinal canal and I was losing control over my right arm...and naturally I'm right arm dominant.

I am just under 1.5 years post-op from my RNY.  I was doing really, really good with my nutrition before these surgeries.  I'm down 130 pounds...right where the doctor wants me (although, I will admit I'd love to lose another 20).

Since August when I had my knee replacement, I've had a drastic decrease in appetite.  I know that should be a good thing, but the problem is whenever I start to prepare something to eat, my stomach starts rebelling.  It's almost like I can't even stand the look and smell of food.  When I am able to get the food to my mouth, the food comes right back up.  As I was healing from that, I knew I really needed to make sure I kept up my protein so I went back to the Isopure drinks.  I was definitely getting all my protein in and continuing my supplements.  Just as I was starting to get back an appetite (about January), I started experiencing pain in my right arm.  That lead to a visit to the ortho docs to find out about this stinking disc (C5-6).  He told me that if I hadn't come in when I did...I could have permanently lost use of my right arm.  

I can put only certain things in my stomach.  I can still do the liquid protein and I can do cereal like cream of wheat, oatmeal, and whole wheat english muffins.  As soon as I start to add solid protein or any vegetables, my stomach starts in again.  I've tried pushing past this and forcing myself to eat, but as I mentioned earlier, it doesn't stay down long.

I'm concerned that maybe I've developed some form of an eating disorder.  I have an appointment for next Friday to start seeing a counselor.  The other problem I've developed is a high tolerance for pain medication.  I have to actually do a step down (or withdrawal) process each time something painful comes up.  So the counselor is also going to talk to me about opiate addiction and other forms of pain management.  The neck surgery was surgery #14 for me (not just on my neck, but all over).  I understand that I will be in the operating room again...that's just a fact.  My family doesn't call me "Grace" for nothing.  :)

Has anyone here experienced anything like this?  If so, how did you get through it or is it still something you have to be on guard about?  I would be very thankful for any kind of support on this.  I'm losing steam.

Thanks!

Vicky

HW - 325           SW - 310          GW - 200/190           CW - 203 - May 5, 2012

Cherokeesage
on 3/28/13 7:53 pm
RNY on 02/24/12

Do you take Nexium or a similar product?  If not, you may talk to your Dr about whether or not your stomach needs this.  Also, if you have been on several pain meds -  is there a chance there is an ulcer?  I'd be talking to my WLS.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

Sherry T.
on 3/28/13 9:16 pm - GA
RNY on 05/22/12

I just want to tell you I understand where you are coming from...and hang in there! I sympathize with you...in 2008, after losing 115 pounds on Weigh****chers....I went to the emergency room with severe abdominal pain...I was taken to surgery for an appendisitis and once in there they found I had actually preforated my small intestine and infection was in my abdominal cavity....it generally happens to people 65 and older, typically men.  I was 40 and female...as I told my Mom, I wouldn't wi**** on anyone, but why me?   It was a factor in the dr doing my surgery but he was able to complete my RNY laproscopiclly....yes, after all that...I gained the weight back and then some....I think I started eating and just didn't stop.  

I hope you get to the bottom of what's going on....you know your body and what's going on, if you are concerned then get it checked out!

Take care!

Sherry

Karen R.
on 3/29/13 4:39 am
RNY on 04/14/13

I'm so sorry to hear you're having this trouble.  Having to juggle all these various physical challenges has got to be so draining.  I can't say that I've been in your shoes.  But I hope you can stay strong and work with your physicians to figure out some kind of solution.  Take care.

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Most Active