So many questions....

Carrie T.
on 3/31/13 4:35 am - Tarboro, NC
RNY on 03/22/13

It was beat into my brain before I even had surgery that all my pills needed to be crushed or changed to liquid. I think I was scared into thinking the world would implode if I didn't crush them all. I was so sick in the hospital, I didn't even think to ask if it was a necessary thing. :)

JanBooth
on 3/30/13 2:15 pm - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

Some medicines are never to be crushed or opened.  You may want to check with a pharmacist to see if all that you are taking can be.  Also, unless you are having trouble swallowing, why aren't you taking whole pills?  I'm not a/your doctor, but I was taking pills while in the hospital without any problems...even the huge Calcium and pain pills. 
Why aren't you taking the vitamins? 
Sounds like that old expression...too many cooks in the kitchen.  :) 

Janet

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss~

Carrie T.
on 3/31/13 4:43 am - Tarboro, NC
RNY on 03/22/13

I agree with you! Too many cooks in the kitchen!!

When I was leaving the hospital, the patient representative said they weren't going to worry with giving me vitamins yet and that my surgeon would go over that with me on my next visit with him (which is on the 4th).

I had so many people in and out of my room (4 nurses for every shift, 3 regular doctors, 2 extra doctors, 4 interns, and a partridge in a pear tree) and they all had "OMG IMPORTANT INFO THAT YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER" to tell me over the 4 days I was in hospital. I was mentally and physically drained by the time I got home!!

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 3/31/13 1:03 am
RNY on 01/10/12

If your pills are small you should be able to swallow them whole. I gave up on crushing pretty early out, and when I confessed to my surgeon at my 3 week checkup he said it was fine as long as I as doing OK with it. 

As far as your sister is concerned, everyone tolerates things differently so just because she had issues doesn't mean you will. And I agree that it's less than helpful to say "you'll see." 

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

Carrie T.
on 3/31/13 4:44 am - Tarboro, NC
RNY on 03/22/13

Thanks for responding! I've been swallowing my Lithium and Vistiril whole since last night and it has worked out well so far. I hope I don't have the same issues my sister had, but I also wish she would be more outspoken and honest with me.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 292 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 217 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 285 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 146 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 217 views