So many questions....

Carrie T.
on 3/30/13 4:46 am - Tarboro, NC
RNY on 03/22/13

I had my surgery on March 22nd. I had to stay in hospital for a few days because I had some complications. I'd previously had thyroid cancer and had a total thyroidectomy in October of last year, which damaged my parathyroid causing me to have to take very high doses of calcium as well as a prescription calcium. I'm also Bioplar and take a plethora of medications for that.

Here are my questions/concerns:

1) I'm on a lot of medications at the moment and they haven't even started me on my post op vitamins! In the early mornings, I take 250mcg Synthroid. An hour later, I take .25mcg Calcitriol liquid and 7mL Calcium Carbonate liquid. At 2pm, I take 300mg Lithium, 5mg Norvasc, 7mL Calcium Carbonate liquid, 40mg Viibryd, 25mg Vistiril, and 20mg Pepcid. At 6pm, I take 6mL Calcium Carbonate liquid, 300mg Lithium, 25mg Vistiril, 300mg Seroquel, and 5mg Ambien. I've tried talking with my psychiatrist about my Lithium, Seroquel, Viibryd, Visitril, and Ambien but she doesn't seem to comprehend what I'm saying to her. All of them have to be crushed, except the Lithium and Vistiril. They come in gel caps. I wouldn't mind them at all but the Lithium BURNS! It burns my tongue, tastes like butt, and my stomach burns after taking it. I know that no one here is licensed to tell me what medications to take, but my psychiatrist doesn't seem to have a handle on what bariatric surgery actually entails. I need her to cut down on these meds because it seems like one entire meal consists of pills!!! Any suggestions? Tips? ANYTHING?

2) My sister had her surgery in December and she has lost a great deal of weight. I'm so happy for and proud of her. She seemed to deal with the recovery period differently than I have. I'm already independent (taking unassisted showers, wiping myself, doling out my own medications, keeping myself on an eating schedule, etc., where my sister was still unable to do those things at 2 weeks post op. She came over today and I told her that while I'm not craving foods or feeling hunger, I do wish I could have a scrambled egg or a small piece of baked chicken from the dinner my mom cooked last night. My sister said to me, "You're gonna hate eating real food again" and when I asked why, she said, "Just wait." I know she had a rough time eating chicken and she vomited a lot because it wouldn't agree with her stomach, but I wish she'd be a little more forthcoming about what she went through so I'll know what to expect. I don't expect it to be easy sailing, but now with her cryptic message, I'm having anxiety about eating.

I know I had more questions than this. My mind draws a blank right now. I guess I could always ask more as they come to me. Any help and advice is appreciated. :)

Carrie

cajungirl
on 3/30/13 5:37 am
Congrats on your surgery. Can't offer anything on the meds.

As far as your sister's comment on eating, everyone is different. There may be foods that just don't taste good or that you can handle early out that may be easier as you get further out. If something doesn't work then give it a while and try again. I never had trouble with chicken although I did eat the dark meat first since it isn't as dry and the white meat. Eggs gave me a fit for a long time and scrambled can still be hit or miss, others eat eggs with no problem.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Carrie T.
on 3/30/13 6:20 am - Tarboro, NC
RNY on 03/22/13

I'm anxious to start eating again. I'm tired of the same flavors of water and OptiSource over and over again. haha!

Thanks for the response!

Katie K.
on 3/30/13 5:42 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
I've heard that you might be able to swallow the capsules. It's a fear of mine (I'm pre op) as I can't really function without my psych meds.

I've also heard that we have to take calcium citrate after surgery because we can't absorb (enough?) calcium carbonate.

I would talk to your surgeon about all your meds. He can either help you or tell you about a psychiatrist who has experience with Bariatric patients.
Carrie T.
on 3/30/13 6:23 am - Tarboro, NC
RNY on 03/22/13

I'll have to ask my surgeon about the capsules. It would be nice to not have to deal with the gross taste of the powder if I can help it!

The calcium carbonate that I'm on was prescribed while I was in hospital by my endocrinologist. It's not an over the counter, but rather a prescription. I thought the same thing you did about the carbonate vs. citrate, but I know my surgeon and endocrinologist discussed it before it was prescribed.

Thank you for responding!

glad2balive
on 3/30/13 6:22 am

Congratulations on your surgery!

Unfortunately, I cannot offer advice on lithium because it did not hurt me. I would stay on doctor about the importance of working with you and making adjustments for the new body you have (hopefully with any episodes****il your pouch can handle more pills.

I will be praying for you.   

The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts.

In Christ

Carrie T.
on 3/30/13 6:24 am - Tarboro, NC
RNY on 03/22/13

Thanks so much! :) I plan to call my psychiatrist on Monday to see what she can tell me via phone.

katie G.
on 3/30/13 9:07 am
Have u tried ur lithium whole? Its drug specific weather or not the caps should be opened up or the caps swallowed. My cymbalta was in cap form and i was afraid to swallow it post op but it didnt hurt when i did... best bet would be to get ahold of psych about how they should be taken (open or whole) and ur surgeon (about ur ability to swallow caps) and compare what they have to say...
Carrie T.
on 3/31/13 4:33 am - Tarboro, NC
RNY on 03/22/13

I tried the Lithium whole last night and it didn't burn my stomach, so I think I'll be okay swallowing it whole. :) Thank you for responding!

poet_kelly
on 3/30/13 10:19 am - OH

Why do all your meds have to be crushed?  do you have trouble swallowing pills?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 99 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 247 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 300 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 260 views