One month follow-up appt

ImDun
on 4/5/13 4:23 am
RNY on 02/26/13

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted much since my surgery but check in to see what's going on with everyone.

I had my one month follow-up on Monday (was actually 5 weeks).  I have lost 36 pounds so far and at 35% weight-loss of my excess weight.  I lost 18 lbs before the surgery and 18 pounds since.  I am very happy with that.  Today I just fell into the 170s  (179.9...lol) and am thrilled so at 40lb weightloss.

My fasting blood sugar was 75 this morning.  Diabetes was my main motivation for having this surgery and it feels like it was a good decision.  Not having buyers remorse any longer but not a cheerleader yet.  I am still learning about my new eating and lifestyle.  My biggest discovering is that I eat too fast and take too big of bites.  I knew I did this before but have changed from prior eating habits.   I just have to  pay closer attention.

I went into this with no expectations as far as weight-loss and giving myself a year to make the changes and new lifestyle as far as what I can eat, drink etc.  I am very excited for this new life and believe in a month or two I will be the biggest cheerleader for WLS. I had a very rough time after surgery.

I spent 4 days in the hospital after the surgery and required 4 units of blood transfusion.  Had some internal bleeding and bruises on my whole left side and lower stomach.  They realized I had bleeding in the remnant stomach.  I came home and a week after that I was admitted to the hospital through the ER with pneumonia that they think I got while at the other hospital.  I spend 9 days in the hospital and had to chest biopsies one of which the culture was blood they removed and the other 340 ccs (almost a liter) of fluid.  It was a rough time but I am now on the mend.  Finally went back to work and while exhausted it is good to be productive.

I am cleared to start working out on Tuesday and can start ab work in 3 weeks.  Can't wait to see what my body looks like with some cardio and weight training.

Thanks for listening.  I am not able to attend the support group of my hospital so I use this website all the time.  It's really invaluable and the people are great!

Deb

MeMinusMore
on 4/5/13 4:46 am
Congrats on your weight loss even though sounds like you've had.a rough time of it.Glad you're on the mend. I think reading about complications keeps me in sort of a reality check.
leadnur
on 4/5/13 1:09 pm

Good luck to you!