OT: Lump in Breast

_Islander_
on 4/9/13 11:09 pm, edited 4/10/13 3:54 am
RNY on 03/11/13

So I had my open RNY on March 11th and three days after discharge I discovered a rather large lump in my breast. After a series of mammograms, sonograms, and a core biopsy, the lump came back malignant.

I saw the breast surgeon yesterday. He said it was approx 2.5 cms, Stage llb, ER positive, and HER2 positive meaning I must now endure a lumpectomy, radiation, hormone therapy, and chemotherapy.

He informed me that it's not uncommon to see new patients with breast cancer who had GBS as obesity increases your risk for breast cancer.

I am asking you ladies to be sure to have your mammograms, baseline or otherwise. My last mammogram was 10 years ago and I had no risk factors or family history. He told me this cancer has been growing in me for about 5 years. It happened so quickly and without any symptoms. No pain, no discharge, no dimpling, or breast changes. Just a lump found quite accidently post-op after I couldn't lie on my side and was forced to lie on my back, smoothing out my pajama top while watching tv.

Just like that.

thynnlynn
on 4/9/13 11:17 pm - MI

Well then, it is good you had to be on your back and found it now rather than later.  My mother was a breast cancer survivor and was one of the first to get a lumpectomy.  Back then, the doctors all wanted to do mastectomies.  She refused chemo and did fine with the radiation.

Praying that all will go just perfectly and you will be just fine.  This is a big bump in the road but I am sure you will be just fine in the end.

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

Karen518
on 4/9/13 11:49 pm

My surgeon requires a mammogram prior to surgery.  It seemed a little over the top to me at the time, but I understand the reason. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.  Praying for a swift and complete resolution for you.

Raine
on 4/10/13 4:13 am - Anoka, MN

I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I hope you get through treatment fine and than you for warning others. I've been talking to other wls patients for 10 yrs on here and in my own support group and know that when we start the rapid weight loss there is a chance if we have a hormone based tumor that it can grow quite quickly. The rapid weight loss initially pours hormones into the bloodstream (increased fertility, emotions,etc) and can feed a tumor that's been dormant for a while. It's not common at all but if you need a mammogram, get one before surgery so you have a baseline to work with.

Jen 11  yrs post op RNY