How do you get over food temptations after RNY surgery?

Momma1991
on 4/14/13 10:12 am - Hamilton, NJ
RNY on 04/08/13

Yup so, I had my surgery on 4/8 and it is now 4/14 and I am getting tired of the whole water,broth,sf jello, isopure, ice cubes, sf icepops and so on. I have temptations for REAL food. I think it makes it worse when I see a food commercial, see or smell food that my family eats, when my 2yr old son offers me some of his food..... Its getting really hard. I want REAL food but I know I shouldn't because I could hurt myself really bad and be back in the hospital and I dont want that..... Am I supposed o lock myself in my room for the next 2-3 weeks before starting the next stage in the food process??  How did you get over the good smells of food when your sitting there just drinking clear liquids. And how long did it take for you to progress to soft foods like eggs, cheese, pureed foods like banana's and all that other baby food??

Brenda S.
on 4/14/13 10:19 am - FL
RNY on 04/09/13
I'm sorry you're having a hard time. My surgeon actually starts his patients on soft foods in the hospital. Not much. Each "meal" is about 4 tablespoons, and I couldn't even finish that. I'm sure your surgeon had a reason for having you wait. What about SF pudding? It is liquid at room temperature, so I can count that as liquid. Can you? It at least has some texture.

65rosesmom
on 4/14/13 10:29 am

I was a week on clear liquids and two more on full liquids (whi*****luded yogurt, pureed soups, shakes, etc.)    It wasn't easy....honestly having surgery doesn't make your head change.  You are going to have to fight these temptations.  All you need is to screw up a little and you will feel pretty yucky.  Once you are further out, those temptations are going to be there and you will not get sick from all of it, so you'll have to fight the urges even more.  Use the early days to establish good habits so that you don't make bad choices down the road.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

Karens62
on 4/14/13 11:23 am - NC
RNY on 02/26/13
Make sure your broth has LOTS of flavor, it will help. If you like heat, try using one of those Cajun spice mixtures, just be aware that some of them Are high in sodium.

HW - 319, SW - 303.5 

selhard
on 4/14/13 12:17 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

After surgery, I went through a food-grieving period.  My first time in a grocery store was emotional, I turned channels during food commercials,  and didn't like family meal time.  Luckily, it was a short-lived period--less than 2 months.  Once I felt better, got used to following the rules, and started seeing weight loss those things trumped food temptations.  Recently, I saw a 90% off sign next to some after-Easter candy but was able to walk away saying to myself, "that lifestyle almost killed me."  

I was given no pre-op diet and 2-week post-op instructions allowed things like eggs, cottage cheese, cream of wheat and yogurt so I was able to manage more easily than stricter programs.  Good Luck to you.

jessie06
on 4/15/13 1:36 pm - Albuquerque, NM

I am almost 3 weeks out and I definitely relate to the temptation and head hunger issues.  I never noticed how friggin' many pizza commercials there are on television before!  The way I've made sense of it in my mind is that I'm breaking an addiction.  It would have been great if I'd been able to do that without surgery but I couldn't and made the best decision for myself.  I WANT the foods so much but I also know how ill it would make me and it could damage all the hard work and pain of surgery I've already gone through.  I actually don't shy away from others eating in front of me - I have this theory that each time I sit through my cravings and temptations that I make that "muscle" stronger and I realize that not eating that stuff will not kill me.

Don't get me wrong, it's still so hard and I know it will continue to be!  Distraction is also helpful- trying to pick up on some of my old hobbies I'd let go.

I had my 2 week f/u last week and I was moved from full liquids to some soft foods including scrambled eggs and oatmeal.  My surgeon said "if it needs to be chewed more than 2-3 times, it's too solid."  He told me that at the 4 week follow-up is when things get "exciting" and I can move to some more regular foods.

I also bought a book on Amazon "Eating Well after Weight Loss Surgery."  I love it and have already made several things.  One of the best things is that for each recipe it tells you how (and how much) to eat - ie for Weeks 1-4 RNY to puree half the recipe, etc.  Their "cheesecake" made with tofu and fat free cream cheese and splenda was such a treat!  I was feeling somewhat homicidal at the thoughts of only protein shakes for any longer.  :-)

I also got the book Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies that has some great recipes but they are for down the road when we are on more regular foods. 

Athlynne
on 4/18/13 2:55 am

I feel your pain. I'm only 3 days out and craving every solid I see. Sugar-free pudding with some protein powder helps, it feels like I'm actually eating and it hasn't caused any problems. Good luck!

"I'm pleasant, but I have issues." - MST3K

Start weight: 290 lbs.
Current weight: 205 lbs.

Surgery date: April 15, 2013

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 350 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 237 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 341 views
What's on your Monday Menu?