Other`s First Week?

AnchorsAweigh
on 4/23/13 2:29 am

I had surgery last Wednesday and had no complications, no nausea, overall a good experience. Haven't used pain meds since Thursday.  I'm struggling to get in the fluids and protein but improving. Here's my  question. I don't think I am walking enough. My left side incision still pulls and burns so I have to hold tightly to it when I'm moving. Can't really reach up and I'm pretty sure I've turned into a scary contortionist at shower time. How are others doing at this stage?

Karen R.
on 4/23/13 2:53 am
RNY on 04/14/13

I had my surgery on the 14th, so I'm not that much ahead of you.  I was told to walk an hour a day and that's what I've been doing.  I have a small dog and I take him out twice a day.  We do about 20-30 minutes in the morning and 40 minutes late in the afternoon.  I can't walk all that fast (I get a burning line on my left side that runs from high above my incisions to a couple of inches below it).  But I do walk. 

It also helps to be a mall walker.  My girlfriend took me out last weekend and we did about 45 minutes there, wandering and window shopping.  It really made the time go fast!  For what it's worth, at this point, 45 minutes is my absolute limit.

I'm on full fluids at this point and have lost 18 pounds.

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

katzmeow13
on 4/23/13 3:16 am

I had my surgery in Jan and we had a wicked cold spell here. I bought a treadmill and started off walking in 5 min increments 5-6 times a day. within a few days I was walking 10-15 min at a time 3-4 times a day. Now that I'm back at work I try to do a min of 30-45 min 5/ week. My speed is also increasing and the weather is getting nice so I hope to maybe do a second walk in the evenings a few times a week

HW:282      pre-opti W: 268       CW: 172.       SW:255.5

Surgery: RNY   Jan. 17, 2013   Dr Raiche   OTTAWA

MrsLitch
on 4/23/13 3:45 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

I couldn't walk around much at all the first week. I was lucky to get around my house most days, I had significant pain by one of my incisions for the first week. I found wearing a binder helped the pain quite a bit and kept it from pulling and tugging. Showers were funny I had to have my hubby in there with me to make sure I could get in and out of the tub without falling and he actually washed my back for me to help me try to feel better. Just do the best you can do.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

RebYitzchak
on 4/23/13 5:12 am - FL
RNY on 04/17/13

I also had surgery last Wednesday. Most of my issues have been with cramping, but today has been the best day so far. I have a  hip problem, which prevents me from do as much as I should, but I am getting out for a daily short walk, and then I do laps around the house. The other thing for me has been not being able to get warm, but that also seems to be better today.

I am doing pretty good with the fluids, but not sure that I am getting the protein. I am doing shakes to make sure I am getting close.

RNY - 4/17/13     HW - 463  SW - 428  CW - 263

Most Active
Recent Topics