questions to ask

Emmysarb
on 4/23/13 6:06 am
RNY on 07/30/13 with

What are some of the questions you wish you have asked you Doc and Nut before surgery? I am putting together a list that I am going to take with me when I see the doc in 3 weeks, I want to be prepared and be able to cover everything I can think of and the things i can't think of too.

Emily

molly3613
on 4/23/13 6:47 am - TX
RNY on 01/24/13
Appx length of surgery - mine wound up 8 hours and I didn't expect that nor did my husband who was kind of frantic till they came out and explained. Most of my fat was belly fat and he had to go very slowly.

Is there any scar tissue he needs to remove from previous surgeries - this slows things down also.

Will you go home with a drain - I did and I didn't expect that either ACK!

Does he send you home with 2 weeks of lovonox shots that you give yourself in the stomach - to prevent blood clots - some surgeons do and some don't - mine did.

How about a Foley catheter - does he use those - some do and some want you up and peeing on your own. Peeing is a great incentive to get out of bed.

I had some surprises.....

dahoodman
on 4/23/13 6:57 am - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

I got two foleys while I was in and neither were put in during surgery. Yeah me!!!

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

molly3613
on 4/23/13 10:19 am - TX
RNY on 01/24/13
Yikes.....I woke up with my foley. Then when they took it out I didn't even feel it. Just as I was screwing up my face to shriek she said "it's out". Same with the drain. I was inhaling to shriek and he said "it's already out"! You are a spartan......

dahoodman
on 4/23/13 10:42 pm - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

Thankfully I was on some good drugs at that point. I won't say it was enjoyable, obviously, but it was not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. She kept telling me to take deep breaths so I grabbed my incentive spirometer and kept doing that while she was putting it in. Once I was "evacuated" she called the doctor and he said take it out. Later that evening I needed a blood transfusion and I still wasn't going on my own so in order to keep me in my bed for the transfusion he ordered another to be put in. The poor nurse kept apologizing and I kept telling her to shove it! Pun completely intended! Not really, I told her it was not her fault and not to feel bad. No spartan in this blood line, just had no choice. If it weren't for the drugs I'm sure it'd be a different story. This is my first and second foley and hopefully my last.

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

dasie
on 4/23/13 7:44 pm
How large will he/she make your pouch, opening and bypass. The sizes can affect the outcome. I am communicating with one now who had surgery but is always hungry and having slow progress. She was evaluated by another surgeon who said for her pre surgery wright her opening was far too large. She has had a procedure that will hopefully help.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 339 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 337 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 249 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 9 replies · 44 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?