Juicing After Weight Loss Surgery

BellaNY
on 5/2/13 4:32 am

I have had a 10 year battle with bursitis in my hip. The osteopath who is currently treating me admits he knows nothing about WLS. However he is convinced that this is caused by my diet that includes meat and dairy. He's pushing me to incorporate a lot of raw fruit and veggie juice into my diet and to get my protein from vegetable sources. To be honest, I don't want to do this for a variety of reasons, including a fear of dumping.

Has anybody successfully juiced? Is there a reason NOT to do it given WLS?

Thanks for your help.

poet_kelly
on 5/2/13 4:36 am - OH

I don't think you'd be likely to dump on vegetable sources of protein. I mean, beans, tofu, things like that are not very high in sugar.

I can't think of a reason not to juice after RNY, as long as you avoid using large amounts of fruit if you dump on fructose. Of course, you want to be mindful of the liquid calories you're taking in, but I don't imagine vegetable juice is very high in calories, is it?  And I can't think of a reason not to give up or cut way back on meat and dairy after RNY.  I mean, I can't think of reasons related to RNY.  I'm sure many want to eat meat and dairy for a variety of reasons, though.  I love dairy.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

BellaNY
on 5/2/13 4:48 am

Thanks, Kelly.  I'm not a big meat eater but I do like yogurt.

chulbert
on 5/2/13 4:57 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Vegetable juices should be fine.  Fruit juices are high in sugar and liquid calories can add up quickly so be careful.

MyLady Heidi
on 5/2/13 5:04 am

I would suggest a new doctor, because he is clueless.

BellaNY
on 5/2/13 8:52 am

He is good on structural issues. Generally I try to ignore him when he starts preaching about diet. And, quite honestly, if I could have followed all of his juicing protocols I would not have needed WLS.

MeMinusMore
on 5/2/13 9:04 am
In my NUT my nutritionist had all of us repeat

"Do Not Drink Your Calories"

about 50 times throughout the class.

So Idk if I'd juice.
BellaNY
on 5/2/13 9:47 am

Mine said the same thing.

selhard
on 5/2/13 10:48 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I was told to concentrate on DENSE proteins, so I don't see how juicing would work too well?  If you research this on your own more, please share your findings.  Thanks.

Age: 53  Height: 5'9" Highest BMI: 60's SW: 331 CW: 209 GW: 170 RNY on 11/26/2012

BellaNY
on 5/2/13 10:29 pm

Interesting that this site recommends vegetable juicing after WLS.

http://www.mybariatricsolutions.com/blog/how-to-fit-fruits-and-vegetables-into-your-diet-after-weight-loss-surgery

Most Active
Recent Topics