Food Police

angenoire
on 5/20/13 10:01 pm - NJ
RNY on 05/03/12

Sorry, folks but I must vent.  I am one year out and the food police has come back full force.  Apparently, the food police decided to call my mother who lives in another state to inform her of my "bad" food selections.  My mother in turn has spoken to me about it.  My mother's reasoning is that she doesn't want me to gain the weight back.  Let's see where I stand:  Weight loss= 100pounds; no more blood pressure medication, no more CPAP machine, no more diabetes medication.  Mmmmmm.....I think I am doing pretty well.  And yes I do have the occassional vomitting episodes with something that may be too dry or not agreeing with me. 

In turn, I have told my mother all this and informed her to tell the food police to mind their business.  They seem to think I am not allowed to go to restaurants to eat and that I need to pack my own food when I go out with friends or family.  Life continues to happen around us and as a WLS patient I must evolve with it.  I must adapt to the changes I decided to make with having this surgery. 

I will say this that was fine in the beginning.  A year out I would think people would know what they should or shouldn't be eating or how much they should be eating.  I made the decision for the surgery.  I did the work.  They claim the success.  The surgeons gave you the tool.  So to all you newbies out there, remember there will always be food police (and mine was a relative) watching everything you eat and making comments good intentions or not.  You will lose friends in the process and you will gain friends.  You will also find your voice and speak out if you never did before.  For those of you who spoke out before, your voice will be louder as you go through your journey.  Remember the person you have to face every morning to account for your choices is yourself.  As you make this journey, remember you are doing this for you and you are the most important thing in this process.

Taking it one day at a time.    
Allen Y.
on 5/20/13 10:37 pm - Garland, TX

I feel your frustration. I had WLS back in 2002 and lost over 300! lbs. I had a guy get all freaky with me and say that I had regained 30 lbs. I was very angry with him. But the thing is, I fell back into the pit and ended up with a revision in 2012. Not saying this is you. Just saying maybe turn the other cheek a little bit. Even if they hurt your feelings they probably do mean well. I am a year out from my revision and already there are times I wish the FOOD POLICE would coach me a little some times.

I think the answer is some where in the middle between the food nazi's and the eat what ever the heck you want...

Keep up the good work!!!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 5/20/13 11:45 pm
Put a stop to that now. I am an adult, and I expect to be treated as such. If those around me cannot do that, I have no trouble putting their opinions in check. I think it is ridiculous that someone 'tattled' on you to your mother as if you are a naughty child. I only pay attention to what my young daughter eats and sometimes monitor my husband's sugar intake. I cannot imagine caring what someone else eats. If you don't speak up about this busybody behavior it will continue.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Mary Catherine
on 5/20/13 11:49 pm

The worst mistake that you can make at this point is to think that you did all this on your own and that you have been cured of obesity.  The truth is that whether or not you faithfully followed your program, the surgery gets rid of the first 100 pounds.  If you go back to eating like before surgery, you might not gain back any weight for about eight months or maybe for another year or longer.

Then one day the next phase of the surgery will start.  That is the bounce-back regain portion of the surgery.  For me, it happened at thirty months and I regained rapidly.  I was ten pounds below my goal weight and in a few months was almost ten pounds above.  I was fighting the gain, counting calories, working out, going to Weigh****chers, and still the scale would not budge.

Many people lose 100 pounds and gain back 50 by the end of the fourth year after surgery.  Many people gain back all of their weight.  Many people end up much heavier than before surgery.  Many people have the diabetes come back.  If you want to continue to be a weight loss surgery success, you have to start being dedicated now.  Your pouch is bigger and you can eat more food, but that does not mean that you should eat more food. 

You need to count calories, protein grams, drink enough water and get in your exercise.  You need to avoid potatoes, sugars, pasta, pancakes, pastries, candy, desserts, rice, noodles, breads, rolls, desserts, cookies, crackers, chips, ice cream, soda pop, alcohol, and starches like corn.  You still need to eat lean protein first and then non-starchy vegetables.  Many times the right food will not be available for you and you will have to pack your own.

The food police, your mother, or nobody else can do this for you.  You have to decide whether to eat the foods that will make you successful with long term weight loss.  It is your decision and your life.  You alone get to decide. Choose wisely.

cbaines
on 5/21/13 12:38 pm

i like your answer it is easy to gain back snacking here and there going thru that now, thank you

angenoire
on 5/29/13 11:57 am - NJ
RNY on 05/03/12

I realize the surgery is a tool.  I know that there will be times that I will need help and support from others.  What gets to me is that my family don't trust me to do this.  You are right I have to decide what is appropriate for me.  I get the impression that my family (support) want to take the decision away from me and make it themselves. 

Thank you and I will choose wisely.

phyl9
on 5/29/13 12:12 pm

White Dove- GREAT RESPONSE! : )

Dee.spunk
on 5/20/13 11:53 pm - Sacramento, CA
I would've been like, yeah I ate that! And it was good too! I may have it again!

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

angenoire
on 5/29/13 11:59 am - NJ
RNY on 05/03/12

Thank you, Dee *****  You put a smile on my face.

PetHairMagnet
on 5/21/13 7:12 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Your post is the main reason that I have only told my husband and my mom. And I would not have told my mom if I had known she would end up not being able to take time off work and my husband did anyway.

Don't need anyone policing me! Sorry you have a turd for a relative! :(

Most Active
Recent Topics