Protein powders- please help!

Jessica H.
on 5/16/13 9:27 am - North Royalton, OH
RNY on 08/05/13

Hey everyone. I'm trying to find some good tasting protein powders. What do you use? I am pre-op, but I promised my nutritionist I would have a protein shake for breakfast daily. I want to find some powders I like before surgery so I can have some of those on hand. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Jessica

http://www.thebariatricdiva.com 

Karen518
on 5/16/13 9:31 am

I actually enjoy the Unjury that my surgeon's office requires for pre op.  I like the chocolate and vanilla.  I usually mix them together and make them in coffee:)

Jessica H.
on 5/16/13 9:17 pm - North Royalton, OH
RNY on 08/05/13

Thank you!  I haven't tried the Unjury yet.

Jessica

lynnc99
on 5/16/13 9:45 am

Tastes are unique, and I found that a powder that I loved early out didn't taste good forever. And what a friend recommended might not suit my tastes at all. That said....

I've used GNC Amp protein powder often, in the chocolate flavor. This is a less sweet chocolate, with a richer taste.

A second favorite is Pure Protein from WalMart. The chocolate is not as rich as GNC. The vanilla is a great add in to a smoothie made with fresh fruit and veggies. 

Both of these are easy easy to purchase, and not terribly expensive. Get the GNC protein when they have buy one/get one 1/2 off sale. In the long run (I'm close to 4 years out), ease of purchase and cost has meant a lot to me. I still have a shake for breakfast, simply because it front loads my protein for the day and is simple with a busy schedule. 

Many, many options are available. You can dress up the basic protein shake with sugar free syrups for variety. Check out Bariatric Foodie for a lot of good ideas!

Dee.spunk
on 5/16/13 9:50 am - Sacramento, CA
Also, remember that what taste good to you now may not taste that great after surgery. I thought I was smart and bought a bunch of stuff that I thought I'd like after surgery only to find it all too disgusting to even put in my mouth.

Maybe you can get samples?

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

shedevilbecca
on 5/16/13 9:52 am - AZ
RNY on 05/30/13

I swear by the Unjury chicken soup and unflavored. I have not found another that I really care for.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 5/16/13 9:56 am
Samples are the way to go. Vitalady sells them, and so does the Vitamin Shoppe.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Jessica H.
on 5/16/13 11:29 pm - North Royalton, OH
RNY on 08/05/13

Oh thanks!  I will definitely be looking into those sites!

Jessica

Amy P.
on 5/17/13 12:44 pm - IN
RNY on 09/12/12

Nashua Nutrition has tons of samples as well.  They have given me really good customer service.

http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/protein-powders/protein -powder-samples-1-serving.html

I bought a bunch of samples before surgery and liked most of them before surgery, but found they were ALL way too sweet after surgery.  I wound up doing mostly Nectar Medical Unflavored protein with a tiny bit of a flavored one added to it.

Now I've figured out that buying Nectar Sweets Vanilla and Chocolate is the easiest and then I just add various stuff (SF pudding mix, PB2, SF coffee syrups, etc) to them.

faylynn23
on 5/16/13 9:57 am - College Park, MD

I am currently taking Unjury protein.   I like the vanilla the best which I mix with crystal lite lemonade.  Your taste buds will change after you have surgery.   I was on Unjury per and post op.   it was over a year before I could drink Unjury again.   I would suggest that you buy different samples types until you find  one that you like.   

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 358 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 328 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 176 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 111 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 176 views