Twitching in back of legs.

apurdie
on 5/18/13 4:44 pm - CA

I am 6 months out and just starting back to walking often.  I have these weird leg twitches, muscles that contract all by themselves for hours.  I am worried that it is from malabsorption and am getting labs done next week.  In the meantime, my doc put me on more magnesium, electrolyte water and quinine.  Has anyone else had this complication?  Thanks!  Allison

poet_kelly
on 5/19/13 8:18 am - OH

I'm wondering why you're waiting another week to get labs done.  Why not just get them done now?

It might be low iron, but usually that just causes the restless leg syndrome you get at night.  I don't think it usually causes them to twitch all the time.

Could be low potassium or magnesium. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

SarahLee1969
on 5/19/13 8:55 am - NY
It could also be muscle fatigue as your muscles adjust to increased activity AND new posture as you have lost weight.
I notice I get calf cramps intermittently now, but as I was increasing my walking to jogging it was more frequent. My labs were/are all good and I was already doing the electrolyte drinks. I added some extra stretching per and post workouts. I also randomly stretch my calfs thru out the day. When I change my exercise routine I notice I get cramps again, but in slightly different areas. After my first couple of 5k runs I noticed them in my shin muscles, but that has gotten better as I run outside more (vs on the elyptical).
It is important to remember our bodies are changing dramatically. Our muscles see shifting strains and it takes time for them to adapt.
apurdie
on 5/19/13 3:39 pm - CA

Thank you both for your responses.  I will try and get my labs done right away and do more stretching.  It is much worse at night, as the magnesium is helping during the day.  Allison

Most Active
Recent Topics