Disney 4-5 months post op???

Jennifer39
on 5/24/13 11:21 pm
Sorry for so many questions guys...
So I have a Disney trip planned at about 4-5 months post op.
This is my first time at Disney and was wondering if anyone had any tips?
Is this a bad idea? Should i postpone the trip?
My cousin (who's the one going with me) wanted me to postpone my surgery... She's insane! No way!!! But I will postpone the trip if need be.

Any suggestions, tips and ideas would be fantastic!
datachick
on 5/24/13 11:32 pm - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

My wife (RNY) and I (VSG) went at about four months post-op. It was fine. We carried a knapsack with sandwiches, mixed nuts, cheese sticks, protein bars and bottles of water. Figure that you'll eat half of what others will eat, so you don't have to carry a ton of stuff. You can refill a water bottle in the park at the drinking fountains, and share a sandwich with your buddy. Even without WLS, it's a nightmare to get food there; you have to pre-get-in-a-line an hour or two before you will be hungry. If you wait until you are hungry, you'll be sorry. The lines are long and the food is standard. And I didn't want to waste time standing in line or sitting amongst 500 other people eating lunch, when all I could eat is a bite or two of hamburger anyway. You'll be better off dragging your own stuff around, even if you weren't a WLS patient. Trust me.

If you know of a particular restaurant you want to go to, you can make reservations. Otherwise, BYOF. Even if you make a reservation for like dinner...odds are it'll be a pain to schedule yourselves to be on that side of the park to eat dinner at that particular time. Or that you'll be able to "schedule" your hunger to happen at that time (if you are even getting hungry at that point). Dragging your food around with you means you can eat when you need to, not waste time at the restaurants, and not spend the money on stuff you can't eat any how.

Our family members, who for some reason didn't want to share our yummy ham sandwiches, stood in long restaurant lines and were grumpy with the other grumpy people in the long lines. So really it's not just about being a WLS patient; food in the parks is a pain for everyone :)

For us, we always have safe foods with us, it's kind of habit now to think about it and prepare ourselves for where ever we may be going.

Hope this helps!

Have fun!!!

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

(deactivated member)
on 5/24/13 11:33 pm - San Antonio, TX

I wouldn't postpone the trip. You'll be completely healed from the surgery by then. If you're worried about eating, you can take food into the park with you. Disney will give you free 20 oz cups of ice water any where they sell fountain drinks. All of the walking will be good for you. I was 3 months out the first trip I made. 

MultiMom
on 5/25/13 12:19 am - NH

Definitely plan to go! I went at 2 1/2 months post op and had a blast. I brought protein drinks and bars, and crystal light packets. At sit down restaurants I had no problem ordering from the child's menu (my kids both ordered from the adult menu!). I told them that I had surgery and was willing to pay the adult price, but they were fine with the kids meal and price. The kids selections included broiled salmon, one of my favorites! I didn't eat the yogurt because it was loaded with sugar, but the rest of the meal was perfect. 

Between the weight I had lost pre-op and what I lost post-op I rode the rides and felt wonderful. I came home weighing less than before I left which has never happened before! It was a trip that I will always remember. Then I traveled to South Africa at 4 1/2 months out and was on the go there for 10 days. There I brought lots of protein bars, drinks and jerky. The food we were served was a little more difficult, but I got by and lost even more than I might have at home without going under my protein goals!!  

Can you tell that I like to travel, LOL!

Martha enlightened

P. S. As much as I like to travel, I would turn down any trip to have my surgery!!!!!

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Jennifer39
on 5/25/13 12:30 am
Thank you so much guys! I was starting to feel guilty for being a "damper" on her vaca. At least that's how she made it feel. She said she wants be to "be able to enjoy everything"... Well I know one thing for sure, ill enjoy not being so squished in those rides! Lol
Thank you again for your motivation!
wdwgram14
on 5/25/13 2:48 am

we are DISNEY freaks we take our grandkids on their first trip and their family been there 11 times , i had surgery april 26 we go in Sept we have the free food plan :) and i cant wait i have never been skinny and went to vivist the mouse :) but i will be very close and all the walking you do makes up for time out of gym and most eating :) go have fun oh i even ask my dr and he said heck yah dont miss oout on wdw:) enjoy

Dare to dream , Dare to live , Namaste

Miamos
on 5/25/13 10:09 am - OH
We just got back from disney about 3 weeks ago. I was about 5 months out. Like every one else said pack snacks and bars. At the table service restaurants you can get a variety of food and salads. At the quick service places it is mostly junk food although they do offer a salad with chicken, but it is just lettuce with a little tiny bit of chicken, some cheese, and a cherry tomatoe. I had a blast. I fit on all the rides and road almost all of them. There is a lot of walking. All though i can't say I ate totally healthy while I was there. I came back weighing the same as when left, wish I would have lost a few . But was happy I didn't come back gaining 20 pounds.
rissa1224
on 5/28/13 1:01 am - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

First off I am super jealous you are going to Disney and you are going to have A BLAST! I had a fear of going to Disney so early out too but I was fine!!

I am almost 6 months post op and I went 2.5 months post op back in Feb and I had NO issues at all with anything. Food wise we did eat at buffets because we went with make a wish and my god daughter likes the character dining. For breakfast I had cottage cheese and eggs and or bacon and sausage and they usually had chunks of cheese cut up. Lunch and dinner I would order from the kids menu or asked for grilled chicken and veggies. I sometimes even shared meals if it was salads or meats. If it was a buffet for dinner/lunch I stuck with the meats and cheeses- it really wasnt hard to find food to eat. Mainly the buffets were for Breakfast so it was easier when they had the eggs. I brought protein bars to snack on the flight and between meals if I needed the extra protein. I drank water and always had liquids on me every day.

Any other questions or advice needed feel free to message me =)

Jennifer39
on 5/28/13 1:19 am
Thanks so much! I am feeling much more at ease now!
We have a dining package and I plan on carefully looking at the menus and making our reservations based on my new restrictions
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 347 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 233 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 270 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 108 views
Recent Topics