Lap band revision to RNY

DonnaMaria
on 5/26/13 10:39 am

Hello. I was told by my surgeon that my lap band is failing me. I gained 50 lbs. in three years. During that time I had a leak which was fixed and now I have a hiatus hernia. The doctor is recommending the sleeve however I am leaning more towards RNY. The reasons are the following:

*much more studies on RNY

*better weight loss statistics

*it can be reversed if you are having major problems with it (is this true?)

If anyone has an opinion on this please let me know. If you want to let me know how your revision has gone or just your RNY is please post. I need some guidance.

Thanks,

Donna

Sherrie P.
on 5/26/13 11:00 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Hey Donna,

I revised to RNY on 2/6 of this year from the band.  I went with RNY because I was NEVER successful with the band.  It was a nightmare.  I wanted something significantly different - that included malabsorption.

I am feeling great and have had zero complications.  

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Tiggybeep
on 5/26/13 11:19 am
RNY on 04/02/13 with

I had a lapband in 2003; never really had decent restriction with it.  I revised to RNY this April as my weight was 40 lbs ABOVE my lapband START WEIGHT, and I'd developed diabetes and sleep apnea.  The diabetes in particular scared me.  I wanted something that had the greatest chance of reversing it (and indeed, it's now in remission!).  I didn't want to fool around with another "fad" surgery, I wanted gold standard this time around, need for supplements be darned.  So glad I did it.  I'd be okay with being another say year or so out, but the process is going quite well for me.  It can be frustrating not to be able to eat certain foods (even healthy ones just yet), but it's kinda that way with any weight loss procedure where it takes time to heal and adjust.  I'm feeling SO much better now that I can exercise again! :)  And after a long time of resigning myself to being obese, I'm at last feeling hope that I'll be able to make this work.

poet_kelly
on 5/26/13 11:21 am - OH

It's kinda true that RNY can be reversed.  However, not many surgeons actually do that operation and it's a complicated surgery.  In some cases, the digestive system doesn't function quite normally after reversal - it's kind of like, the lap band can be removed, but in some cases it leaves behind permanent damage.  So while it's possible it could be reversed, that's not something to count on. 

Why does your surgeon recommend the sleeve for you?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

DonnaMaria
on 5/26/13 11:50 am
The surgeon recommended The sleeve. I think because my BMI is 34.

happygrandma
on 5/26/13 12:40 pm - Highland, MI
RNY on 12/17/12

I had lap to rny revision on December 17th.  I also had hernia repair.  I went with rny for the same reasons as the other posters plus I had severe reflux and was told that this is a common complaint with the sleeve.

My doctor told me that I might only lose 50 pounds but I thought it was worth it.  I'm five months out and down 55 pounds and still losing.

I am really glad I did it.  I also feel that I now understand what needs to be done............I don't feel that I really had that with the band, so much more support this time around.

MsBatt
on 5/27/13 5:35 am

The Sleeve, as a weight-loss procedure, has only been around for 10-12 years---but partial gastrectomies have been done for other reasons since the 1800s. And of course the Sleeve is the stomach portion of the DS, which has been done since 1988. I don't think you need to worry that not enough is known about the Sleeve. (*grin*)

The long-term, maintained weight-loss stats are about the same for both the RNY and the Sleeve. And with the Sleeve, you get to keep all normal stomach function! You'd also absorb your vitamins and minerals normally with the Sleeve, but with the RNY you will always and forever malabsorb them.

And---your BMI is 34. In your situation, I'd want to remain as 'normal' as possible.

nkara
on 5/27/13 8:53 am

I am also a revision from lapband.  Mine was 2 years of hell.  I decided to revise to RNY and did not even consider the sleeve.  My decision was the right one for me.  I have had no complications.  I'm finding some days I can eat a certain food and other days that same food will not agree with me.  I did not have any complications post surgery and the worst I felt was a very sore stomach.  Kinda like I had done too many sit ups.   I have had 2 full blown dumping episodes and some "mini" ones. Where I just did not feel well or had pain in my back for a few hours from food I had eaten.  

I highly recommend RNY but it is a personal choice.  Research and choose which one you are comfortable with. 

Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/27/13 11:19 am - OH

Are you aware that the caloric malabsorption of RNY is temporary (about 18 months)  but that the lack of absorption of vitamins is forever?  That means that after 18 months, you end up with a purely restrictive surgery in terms of maintaining your weight loss (so, at that point, there is no advantage to RNY over the sleeve) BUT you still have to take all the vitamin supplements and have labs drawn on a regiular basis to make sure you don't develop vitamin deficiencies with a RNY.  

As Kelly said, RNY reversal is done by very few surgeons and is a last resort, so it should be considered just as irreversible as the sleeve.  The weight loss statistics of sleeve vs RNY are not very different after 2 years, and are almost identical at 5 years out, and as someone else already pointed out, the sleeve is half of the DS which has been done for years, so it is not as of the sleeve procedure itself is new.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Steven354
on 11/28/15 4:42 am

Do you recommend rny over sleeve now that you've had it for a few years. There is a band revision in my future probably quickly due to complications? Thanks. Steve

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 385 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 358 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 327 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 164 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 111 views
Recent Topics