RNY vs. Lap-Band?

alisluv
on 5/29/13 7:04 pm - Carolina Beach, NC

So I thought I had it all figured out; I had done ALL the research, read everything I could on all the WLS procedures out there, and had decided on the Lap-Band. Went through all the classes, tests, evals, etc., and finally got to meet the surgeon this week. He was very nice, but indicated that he reallllllllly thought the RNY would be better for me than the Lap-Band, almost to the point of being a tad 'pushy'.  Now if he'd been a car salesman, I would've left his office immediately. But - since he's a doctor w/10 yrs. of experience and a great reputation locally doing these surgeries, I decided to listen, and re-evaluate.  He did suggest that I talk to people who've had both (and I have friends who've had both, and they all like what they had done)  - and get some feedback.

Does anyone here have an opinion/experience on choosing one over the other? I have already got a surgery date scheduled, but have to let them know which procedure I've decided on like - tomorrow! 

HELP!! thanks-

Kim

Katie K.
on 5/29/13 7:17 pm - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
Out of 450+ procedures, my surgeon said he will only do 1-2 lap bands this year. He said they're only effective for about 30% of the people who get them, and that's really bad odds. He said he has to do revisions all the time. He's done 3,000 procedures, so I tend to believe him.
alisluv
on 5/29/13 11:13 pm - Carolina Beach, NC

Wow! Well, I tend to believe statistics, too, and those are impressive. Yes, my surgeon also said most of his lap band patients were unhappy and wanted to have RNY or VSG later anyway, soo...

Thanks for sharing!

SarahI
on 5/29/13 9:28 pm - Indian River, MI
VSG on 03/04/13

My doctor stated that most of his Lap Band surgeries are removals and later revisions to RNY or Sleeve.  I have had 4 friends with the Lap Band who all have not lost more than 30 pounds, or had major complications because of slippage or leaking etc.  Please rethink your decision and listen to your doctor.  The Lap Bands approval rating is going down hill, and it is no longer the safest means of weight loss.  Granted, all the surgeries are a tool and there are plans to follow, you are better off with the RNY.  Good luck to you and i hope this helps ease your decision.  

SARAH

alisluv
on 5/29/13 11:33 pm - Carolina Beach, NC

Thanks for sharing, Sarah - it does help and I appreciate you sharing what your doctor has experienced. It seems to be the majority of experiences people are stating here, and I am so grateful to hear from "real people" who know better than anonymous statistics! Thanks again and best of luck to you!

Kim

richarddavis196
on 5/29/13 10:04 pm - VA

#1, do what is right for you and your situation.

That being said, I was in the same boat. I ended up choosing the RNY (19 months ago) and have NO REGRETS. My decision was based on my situation. I was pre-diabetic, taking 2 cholesterol meds, one for triglycerides, another for my liver and 4 meds for high blood pressure. I am off all of those meds and my liver is improving on it's own. For me, the biggest factor was the potential for removing diabetes for my health. I had diabetes on both sides of my family, both weight and not weight related conditions and that alone was enough for me to k=make the choice. I also liked the better results/history (track record) of the RNY

Good luck!

alisluv
on 5/29/13 11:15 pm - Carolina Beach, NC

Thanks Richard! I'm fortunate to only have sleep apnea as a health risk, but I know that the diabetes & blood pressure issues are not far behind if I don't lose weight. I appreciate you sharing and I agree that the results of RNY do seem to be much better. Thanks again!

hockeymom8016
on 5/29/13 10:11 pm - NJ

Personally, if I had the choice between the lapband or nothing I would choose nothing. 

Patty R.
on 5/29/13 10:40 pm - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

I Had the band for 6 years; it was removed three weeks ago. Revision to RNY was unable to be done due to the damage caused by the band. I may retry in 6 months.

As for the band, I had an excellent 1st year losing 75 lbs, then it went down hill. Severe GERD and symptoms of a slip. I was filled and unfilled more times than I can count over the next 5 years.Over those 5 years I regained 40 lbs. Finally I had a scan last Sept that showed a major slip, but then had to go through the insurance approval process...

Based on my experience, and my humble opinion I'd choose RNY.

Lap-Band 2007 out 2013 RnY 2016 Age 64 5'6" HW 294 SW 284 LW 214 CW 235.2 goal 199

G. Dean Roye, MD FACS

Patty

alisluv
on 5/29/13 11:24 pm - Carolina Beach, NC

Goodness - you had a very unfortunate time, and I appreciate you sharing your story. When I go on the Lap-Band sites, of course I hear only "good" stories, so I really need to hear the truth from people who've had it, or know someone who has, etc..  This reinforces my decision to go RNY! Thanks so much and best of luck if you decide to go forward!

kim

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 225 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 101 views