Recovering Sugar Addict

curvywriter
on 6/10/13 4:51 am - CA
RNY on 05/13/13

I had surgery one month ago today and prior to surgery, I was a hardcore sugar addict.  Sure I love fries and chips, but never had trouble giving them up during long term lifestyle changes (as opposed to diets), but I have only been able to give up sugar during short term diets.

Since surgery I have no cravings for desserts or sweets and have limited interest in anything sweet.  SF popsicles and Greek yogurt with fruit in it is all about I can handle. 

Anyway, my question is:  is this is temporary?  Will my sugar addiction come roaring back after the honeymoon period or after 2 years?  Would love to hear the experiences of other sugar addicts.  

Historical HW:  390ish  Recent High Weight:  319  SW: 295  CW: 239.8  GW: 165

cindy S.
on 6/10/13 6:14 am - Ellwood city, PA
RNY on 03/05/12
Steer clear of sugary foods. Once you reintroduce them I to your diet it may start the addiction again. I don't dump so unfortunately I can eat these things with no negative effects. I crave fruity sweets I get nauseous with chocolate now which is one good thing. I wish I would have never tried sweets since it is my weakness.
poet_kelly
on 6/10/13 6:27 am - OH

I'm sure it varies from person to person, but there is a good chance at some point it will come back.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/10/13 6:29 am, edited 6/10/13 8:22 am

it may or it may not.  I do want some sweets once in a while - but most of the time - sweet (SF) protein shakes or some fruits with whipped cream is all what I need.

Sure I had some candies. and when I started eating them - I had a hard time stopping - even though  I dump on too much sugar - carbs. Best way for me to to avoid - I can't just have a "bite".    a one bite of cake may lead to 2, and 2 may cause High and then Low BS - and made me eat sugary stuff again... best for me is to not have any real food with sugar. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/10/13 6:40 am - OH

Maybe, maybe not. Many people find that their "taste" for "treats" -- whether it is chocolate or chips or Cheez-Its -- comes back.  That doesn't necessarily mean you will crave those foods, though.  For some people, food cravings are a problem and for others they aren't.  I know a woman who is still a hard core sugar addict and the fact that she dumps doesn't always deter her from eating sweets. I never found foods too sweet early it,but found many things to be too salty. Even deli ham was way too salty for me to eat.  Now, I am back to my normal affinity for salted popcorn, etc.  I always loved sweets, and even now I have some kind of small treat almost every day (and it is usually something sweet), but I am able to have just a small amount and be satisfied.  The exception is cookies.  I cannot have them in the house because I cannot control myself with cookies!

The bottom line is that you just have to wait and see.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Ladytazz
on 6/11/13 8:58 am

I am another hard core sugar addict.  It will be 3 years next month since I intentionally had any sugar.  I've had some accidently, that is how I know I dump, and I am sure there has been hidden sugar in some things I eat.  It is probably impossible not to eat something that doesn't have sugar in it in all cases if you eat out, etc. But I have done the best I can to avoid it.  Anyway, for me, as long as I avoid sugar as much as possible I don't crave it.  It is when I decide that I can now handle it in moderation that my addiction comes roaring back so as long as I don't eat it I don't want it.  If I did eat it I would want more.  Of course since I am not eating it I don't have a problem not eating it, if that makes sense.  The same goes for things with gluten (bread, etc) for me.  As long as I don't have it I don't want it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

curvywriter
on 6/11/13 9:04 am - CA
RNY on 05/13/13

Thanks, everyone!  I will avoid and hopefully never find out if I dum*****t, and hopefully, by not having it, I won't crave it.

Caroline K.
on 6/14/13 2:05 am

Have you checked to see if you may have a sensitivity to sugar? I had a problem with binge eating ice cream, and then discovered I had sensitivities to sugar, dairy and fat, especially when combined. When my sensitivities were treated, the binge-eating went away.

curvywriter
on 6/14/13 2:32 am - CA
RNY on 05/13/13

Interesting.  I have never heard of sugar "sensitivity" as a diagnosis.  Is there a medical term for it that I can ask about.  How were your sensitivities treated?

Caroline K.
on 6/14/13 2:43 am

The husband of one of my co-workers is a naturopath who practices the Nambudripad Allergy Elimination Technique (see http://www.naet.com/). I was pretty skeptical, since I (still) consider this mostly new age bunk, but it was fascinating to see how certain substances affected me that I expected, due to existing medical conditions, as well as some I didn't expect, or thought I might have issues with, but didn't. I guess you can't argue with success kiss I used to literally eat a litre of ice cream at a single sitting, 2-3 times a week. Best rush ever! Since being treated, I had a pint of Haagen Daas at Christmas as a treat and nothing since.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 476 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 479 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 323 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 355 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 64 views
Recent Topics