First sip of the day hits like a ton of bricks...

VintageChick
on 6/19/13 7:31 pm
Does this get better? It doesn't matter what it is (typically water) or what the temp is, the first few sips I take each morning hit my pouch and feels terrible. The rest of the day is fine, food or liquid. I'm thinking of starting my morning with a saltine cracker or a bite of laughing cow light cheese before I drink a thing. I realize this doesn't follow the no liquid with food for 30 minutes but it would be only a few calories and act as a buffer of sorts. I always wake up thirsty and want a few sips of something right away.

Ideas or personal experiences?

Katie K.
on 6/19/13 7:40 pm - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
My care coordinator suggests hot tea in the morning. She said it relaxes the pouch.
sirenitycalling
on 6/19/13 7:40 pm - OH

If food works better first than liquids first thing in the morning, then eat a small breakfast, do your morning rituals, and then it will be close to or past the 30 min mark and you might be able to tolerate liquids better.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/19/13 8:50 pm
Too hot or too cold drinks first thing am feel like a torture. But warm are very soothing. It can't be anything really bitter or acidic. For a while I had to eat a small tsp of PB then I could drink.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 6/19/13 9:14 pm

How far out are you? I had discomfort bordering on pain anytime I drank, especially in the morning before I "primed my pouch" for about 4-5 months. I was really bummed as I am a thirsty girl and typically gulped water in giant swallows in order to quench my thirst. Thankfully, the discomfort lessened and I can honestly say that I drink pretty much normally now.

K_W
on 6/20/13 12:47 am - Pendleton, OR
RNY on 05/21/13

It doesn't matter what I eat or drink first thing in the morning I have a terrible time keeping it down!  I am only 5 weeks post-op so I thought this was normal, it's disappointing to hear that this may continue long term. I have found that a couple sips of a protein shake (I use premier brand) and then wait 20 minutes before finishing, helps my pouch to adjust & I have been able to keep it down.

RNY- 5/21/2013

Justcallmesuz
on 6/20/13 4:44 am
RNY on 05/08/13

The first few weeks were that way for me. I started drinking hot tea first thing when I get up and it helped so I still continue doing that.

HW~278

CW~131

GW~160

VintageChick
on 6/20/13 9:09 am
Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I'm a little over a month out. I do hope it gets better. In the meantime, I'm all for trying the advice given and hope something helps!