10 days out - Intense Pain still, normal?

kinny09
on 6/21/13 10:59 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

I am almost 11 days out now from my RNY and still have significant stabbing pain. It's in the general area of where they did the most work (near my largest incision). There's no redness near any of the incisions and no fever, etc. I only feel this sharp/stabbing/pulling pain in this area whenever I move. If I'm perfectly still, nothing at all. It's preventing me from walking and doing the things I really need to be doing right now. I called my surgeon and he said some people just have a lower pain threshold and without other symptoms it doesn't sound like anything else is going on (my bloodwork last friday was normal, etc). I had a barium swallow the day after surgery and that was normal, no leaks, etc. Is this normal to still be feeling this sharp, stabbing pain during any type of movement still after a RNY? Did anyone else feel like this? I'm still taking my Percocet every 4-6 hrs. but that lasts I find barely 1.5 hrs each time...Just want to know how normal this is?

Athlynne
on 6/22/13 5:42 am

I'd say this is not terribly normal, no. Most people by this time should be having very little pain. I had none at all in my stomach, even right after surgery. I'd say if after two weeks it's no better, insist your surgeon see you or go to the hospital.

"I'm pleasant, but I have issues." - MST3K

Start weight: 290 lbs.
Current weight: 205 lbs.

Surgery date: April 15, 2013

kinny09
on 6/22/13 11:29 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

I went to the ER this morning (same hospital where I had my procedure at) and my surgeon's team met with me. They did a CT Scan and bloodwork, nothing unusual showed up...They couldn't explain why the pain was so bad but said everyone experiences pain differently...It was bad enough that I couldn't even walk to the bathroom this morning. They put me on a new pain medication which does work, but I still don't understand why it is so extreme to begin with, especially if everything else looks normal..

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

patlivs
on 6/23/13 3:40 am

Hi,

I'm 4 days out and i have had a sharp pain on the left side where the bigger incision is. It only happens when i get up not so much when i sit. I also feel it when i walk. I think that is the area that got the most trauma.  You should be feeling better most days. Hope you are having BMS too that makes alot of difference. Miralax is wonderful mix it with crystal light it tastes much better. Happy days ahead your all most to your stage two!! Happy for you

snoopy123
on 6/23/13 1:48 pm
It's the muscles healing..it will go away soon
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 263 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 308 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 328 views