newbie in dietary mode lol pre op requirements

gwen41502
on 6/24/13 1:49 am

im new here im a lap band failure...i weigh 365lbs i have to start my 7 months of dietary preop courses etc etc etc have to do it all over again and then pray they approve me :(..i have several co morbidies so that sohould be easy (or so i hope) ..anyways anyone else just starting? what are u eatting? i know i have to go low carb...kicking the sugar is the hardest for me.. i have type 2 diabetes and i crave sugar ..any advice? what are u eatting? what brand of protein shake do u use? i bought one and realized it was full of sugar lol so i had to toss it :(  i know unjury is good but it isnt available here i have to order it ...also we have no GNC all we have is walmart, kmart and a few local grocery stores

Caroline K.
on 6/24/13 2:15 am

The one thing that helped me with cravings was having my naturopath treat my food sensitivities. While I was initially quite skeptical, the Nambudripad Allergy Elimination Techniques (http://www.naet.com/) he used killed my cravings for ice cream, and I used to binge on a litre at a sitting, several times a week. Self-hypnosis tapes helped a bit as well. While low carb is good, I found low glycemic a bit easier to follow as a lifestyle change. Sorry, can't help you with the protein shake since I'm looking for a good one myself. I've tried and liked the Progressive brand of Vegan protein shake with Vege Greens, but it's not something I could drink all of the time...

PetHairMagnet
on 6/24/13 6:29 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Not a sugar person, can't really help you there, but the protein shake I started with was the RTD Premier in chocolate. I have now moved on and mostly drink either the clear Isopure RTD (20 oz) and drink 1/2 at one meal and 1/2 at another. Grape and Peach Mango are my two favorites. Each morning I now make an iced coffee shake with Good Karma Protein + Flax 'milk' and the coffee flavored Isopure powder (one scoop) and a tablespoon of either the Vanilla Bean or Chocolate Truffle protein powder and a handful of ice. That is 32g of protein total in the morning.

Mine are either free of carbs or very low (like 2 grams) of carbs in a serving.

I have Vitamin Shoppe and GNC as well as pretty much every retailer known to man within a reasonable distance, but I buy a good bit of my stuff from Amazon.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

daubbermom
on 6/24/13 11:43 am - OH
RNY on 01/28/13

I agree with the Low Glycemic LOAD food plan. I have found out I am carbohydrate intolerant so no more pasta, rice, cereal, potatoes, bread. I don't even miss them now. RNY helps greatly in the initial stage. I don't know if I could have weened myself off without the surgery. Search-low glycemic load diet. I order Unjury unflavored and mix it with Carnation essentials no sugar added chocolate drink and almond milk. Works for me.

Julizzler
on 6/24/13 7:01 pm

I'm also banded (2008), trying to get approved For rny. I don't do the shakes right now, I never found one that I liked. Though the One i  Tolerated was a mix between Costco brand   Whey  And Slimfast, yeah more sugar Waybetter Tasting. Sorry The typing typing bad  keyboard On android

bneill38
on 6/24/13 10:34 pm
Im still preop, my nutritionist has us buy a meal replacement for breakfast- bariatric advantage of bariatric fusion both online..sugar not bad. Then for lunch and dinner 2-4ozs lean protein and 1 cup non starchy veggies. Snacks-2 of them one 1 oz low fat cheese and small piece fruit. And. Other 6ozs low fat yogurt.
No soda,caffeine, carbonation or sweets no bread,pasta,rice etc...im 383 start now 347pds.
gwen41502
on 6/25/13 1:47 am

i actually like the protein shakes but i make mine with 1% milk i used to get unjury chocolate and a teaspoon of peanut butter it was so good...but i cant fine unjury with mail order and i want to be able to go get when i want it lol ..im 365lbs...for me kicking sugar is the hardest...i did it before 2xs so i know i can do it...but geeze its gets harder everytime...