IV fluids weight gain

Tracy13
on 6/24/13 2:06 am - WV

Now I know my doctor said not to weight myself before my week check up but the scale was in the bathroom and I couldn't help it! When I got home from surgery I weighed myself and I knew I would have gained from the IV fluids. I gained about 13 pounds! I thought that was a little high but I stayed positive.

How long did it take for your fluids weight gain to come off? My week follow up appointment is in 2 days and I still am up 4 pounds from the day of surgery.

I talked to a nurse at my surgeons office this morning about one of my medications and I mentioned to her about the gain. She said it usually all comes off by the week appointment and many have even lost weight and with my being so young I should be down weight by the appointment. This makes me so nervous that what if I am not and this surgery failed and I am the 1 in a million that is doesn't work for.

How long did it take you to lose the water weight?

HW- 405 (January 2011)

6/20/13 Surgery Day-374

poet_kelly
on 6/24/13 2:11 am - OH

What if you don't lose it all by the one week appointment?  If you are slow to lose water you're retaining from IV's during surgery, does that indicate your surgery failed and you will not lose weight?  Of course not.  How would it mean that? All it would mean is that you lose retained water a bit slower than some other people do.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

brenda_m
on 6/24/13 2:39 am - Renick, WV

You'll be fine Tracy. Dont worry. I believe this is normal post-op. You'll lose the fluid and then some. Your doing great!!!

MultiMom
on 6/24/13 6:41 am - NH

I hadn't lost all of mine (11 pounds) in a week! Everyone is different, I can't imagine that age has anything to do with it..... You will lose it when your body lets it go. How are you doing with your fluids? The more you drink the quicker the weight will leave.

Whatever schedule your body is on is a success! You WILL lose it. I know that after all that build up to surgery you want it to happen NOW (I did), it will happen, I promise!!

Martha enlightened

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Grim_Traveller
on 6/24/13 7:54 am
RNY on 08/21/12

It wasn't until my second week weigh-in that I had lost anything. Please don't worry about it. You will start losing before you know it. And keep in mind that almost everyone hits a little plateau at 3-5 weeks out, too. It's perfectly normal, and will also pass. If you follow your program's instructions, you have nothing to fear.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Tracy13
on 6/24/13 7:57 am - WV

Thank you for your responses! I just really want the scale to drop to remind myself why I did all of this. I am feeling pretty good post-surgery- better than what I expected. I just get tired very fast and have to keep reminding myself I just had major surgery. I am doing alright on fluids, could def up them more. I am doing horrible with protein shakes, they make my stomach so upset. The nurse at my surgeons office said for right now don't worry about protein and just make sure I am getting my fluids in. sip sip sip!

HW- 405 (January 2011)

6/20/13 Surgery Day-374

Karen8268
on 6/24/13 8:16 am - NH
RNY on 10/02/12
I gained a whopping 16 lb of fluid!! It took me a week to lose it..... Then the second week I dropped 12 "real" pounds

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 391 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 403 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 226 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 118 views
A Year and a Month Out Already.