7-8 month post op

kzvtiki06
on 6/27/13 6:14 am - San Juan, TX
im going through some hair loss and also seem to be very tired and sleepy some mornings around 10am and then again around 2-3pm. Is this normal. I cant seem to shake it off. I try walking around here at work but I begin to feel very tired. I have already lost 112 lbs and went from a size 24 to a size 10. Could this be because my body is still changing and trying to adjust to the dramatic weight loss that we go through. Im freaking out on my hair loss. I know I cant really do anything but is there anything to prevent from having so much hair loss?

I appreciate any advise!

Thanks
Mary Escalona
sirenitycalling
on 6/27/13 6:29 am - OH

For the hair loss... protein, protein, protein.

Do you take iron with vitamin c and b-12?

Do you eat anything a little carby around those times?

You are changing and response to change is different for everyone. Walking when you are already tired will make you more tired. I like to strech when tired or think about when I last ate, maybe I need a little snack or what I ate, maybe retro dumpping.

kzvtiki06
on 6/27/13 6:38 am - San Juan, TX
I drink my shake around 10am but it takes me like almost 4 hrs to drink it. I put 2 scoops of protein and its thick so it takes a while longer to fini**** I am taking all of my vitamins: B12, iron, regular vitamin, Calcium, Biotin and Vitamin D3. Today I ate a boiled egg in the morning & a decaffe coffee, a small side salad with 1 slice of chicken for lunch w/water, Ate some non-salted almonds for snack. I have noticed that the heavier the food is, the more tired I become. I cant seem to shake it off. I walk a little everyday. im just wondering if this is just something that some people go thru.

poet_kelly
on 6/27/13 6:37 am - OH

Hair loss caused by surgery itself (called telogen effluvium) is usually over by eight months out.  I'm wondering about your vitamins.  When you had labs done at six months post op, what was your b12 level?  What about iron and ferritin?  Are you taking iron and B12?  Oh, and your zinc level at six months?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

kzvtiki06
on 6/27/13 6:41 am - San Juan, TX
im taking regular vitamins, iron, calcium, b12, biotin, & Vitamin D. My levels were all good at 6 months. I have been taking them every day. im just wondering if this is just something my body is trying to adjust and will eventually go away. My Dr. said that everyone is different but since our body is not acting on a normal level because of the dramatic weightloss we are going through that our body is trying to adjust and catch up. im just wondering if anyone has any tricks lol that I can do to not fall asleep at WORK>>>>>

let me know....
poet_kelly
on 6/27/13 6:47 am - OH

You're sure your levels were all good?  You saw the numbers yourself?  And you know your zinc level was checked and it was good?  Because zinc deficiency is not uncommon after RNY and it causes hair loss.  And some docs don't check zinc levels unless you specifically request it for some reason I don't understand.

Your body adjusting and catching up might make you tired but it wouldn't cause hair loss, as far as I know.  Of course, the hair loss and the fatigue may not be related to the same cause.  A vitamin or mineral deficiency is probably the most likely thing that would cause both hair loss and fatigue, though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

molly3613
on 6/27/13 9:44 am - TX
RNY on 01/24/13
Kelly: You say low zinc causes hair loss. I didn't know that. When I had my 3 month labs drawn my zinc was low. He seemed surprised. Doc said to "take some". So I asked my pharmacist and she said to take 500 twice a week. My hair was falling out at that time by the handfuls. I started zinc and the fallout has all but stopped. A few hairs after washing but nothing at all like right after surgery. I don't know if there is a connection but I sure am glad the fallout has stopped (I am 5 months out) and I will keep taking zinc. Now I need re growth.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 371 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 286 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 257 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 190 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 312 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?