For those considering RNY...

Mandarin15
on 6/29/13 4:05 am

I just wanted to share my tale.  I'm 3 months out from surgery and am feeling great.  I kept a journal as soon as I started the pre-op diet.  I was very detailed and wrote down everything in my day.

The major change in my life has been the weight loss.  I'm down over 50 pounds.  My BMI is down 9 points.  No more high blood pressure or cholesterol or acid reflux meds.  I have to shop at thrift/consignment stores because my sizes are changing so quickly.

Things to consider are the other lifestyle changes: taking vitamins every 3 hours or so; carrying a small insulated bag with a protein drink and 2 oz of protein (usually Mini Babybel Light cheeses) to get me through my day of errands; eating slowly and in small portions; keeping a food journal to keep track of calories and when I take my vitamins; increasing my fiber intake (Metamucil) to counteract the effects of a high protein diet, etc.

So far, I haven't had much hair loss.  Nothing noticeable, except to me and I'm looking for it.  I've been OCD about my protein intake, to the point of eating 2 oz of tuna at 11pm to make sure I get at least 70 grams a day.

I would consider myself a success story so far.  I know that I've been lucky to tolerate all foods and have very few (if any) side effects.

If you have any specific questions about my journey, please feel free to message me.  I know this forum can be full of negatives, but that is because people post here when they have an issue or problem.  But there are plenty of success stories posted as well.

Thanks,

Amanda

Mandarin15
on 6/29/13 4:06 am

P.S.  I don't know why my ticker is not keeping up with my weight loss.  Not sure where to change that

HFrederick613
on 6/29/13 5:02 am - PA
Congratulations! I had problems updating mine from my iPad when I get on the regular computer it seems to work much better.

Heather

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/29/13 5:34 am, edited 6/29/13 5:35 am - OH

At three months out, you are just getting to the point where the hair loss usually kicks in.

I did not keep a journal (too busy working and going to grad school when I had my surgery), but I sort of wish I had.  I think you will find it very interesting if you go back to it when you are 3 or 4 years out! At the very least, you will be amazed at how much more you know by then about vitamins and nutrition, and how much your thought processes have changed (assuming that you are one of the ones who is able to keep the weight off... and if you are not, you will have a "map" for how to go "back to basics" to get back on track... a win either way!)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

LadyAnastacia
on 6/29/13 6:48 am
RNY on 11/06/12

I found this information about hair loss to be true too.  I didn't start losing hair until 4.5 months out and it continued for about 2 months.  There was so much hair in the drain my cat thought it was a mouse. :/

Calla Lily
on 6/29/13 7:38 am
RNY on 01/23/12

Yup me too, 5 months out is when mine started falling out, and started coming back at around 9 months...

RNY 01/23/12, HW 265, CW 115, Height 5'6"

PetHairMagnet
on 6/29/13 7:14 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I, too, have been keeping a journal and already enjoy reading things from just earlier this year. I know it will be a treasure years from now.

Glad you have also had such a great experience!!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Calla Lily
on 6/29/13 7:41 am
RNY on 01/23/12

I think it's great that you are keeping a journal.... This is a huge turning point in our lives and so nice to have something to look back on. Congrats on your success thus far, and positive outlook!

RNY 01/23/12, HW 265, CW 115, Height 5'6"

glamourqueen64
on 6/29/13 2:01 pm - OH
RNY on 07/02/13 with

Wow! That is great news to hear and gives us hope! I am going in to have this done on Tuesday, July 2nd.  I sure would like to hear more. Would you like my email address? How can I message you? Thank you.

Connie

Mandarin15
on 6/29/13 2:20 pm

Sure - post your email address if you are comfortable doing that. 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 311 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 229 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 294 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 149 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 42 views
Recent Topics