Freezing cold

Ericka K.
on 7/11/13 9:55 am, edited 7/11/13 9:55 am
Ever since surgery I have been freezing cold. It's hot and humid here and I'm in yoga pants and a hoodie. Hubs thinks maybe my TSH is off again cuz of surgery. Has anyone else experienced this? Also I went home on a phase 3 diet. I just had 1/4 cup eggbeaters which I are slowly and chewed down to nothing. Now I'm having gas discomfort. Is that just my body getting used to real food again?
RebYitzchak
on 7/11/13 10:21 am - FL
RNY on 04/17/13

I was very cold for about the first month, and then my body balanced out. My wife would look at me like I was crazy when I reached for the blanket every night in my recliner. It will get better.

RNY - 4/17/13     HW - 463  SW - 428  CW - 263

Mary Catherine
on 7/11/13 12:31 pm

I had surgery in October and was never warm again until the following summer.  I would go to the local Jewish Community Center to sit in their steam room, take really hot baths at home, wore thermal underwear, thermal sock liners under my wool socks, and glove liners with my gloves inside of the house.  I was worried that I would be wearing my winter coat to the beach in the summer.

Just do whatever it takes to stay warm and your circulation will catch up one of these days.  I warmed up laying on the beach in July and was fine the following winter.

Mimisocks
on 7/11/13 1:23 pm - PA
RNY on 07/08/13

That is the first thing I noticed when I got to my room post-op.  I have always been a person who was hot when no one else was, and who suffered greatly in the summer heat.  Now I sit with no fan on and with my hands and feet freezing!  Go figure!  If this is just the main benefit of WLS, thank you kindly, lol!  I was tired of being the only one to feel a "hot flash" when there was no need!

Believe in yourself and don't ever stop dreaming!

selhard
on 7/11/13 2:02 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Experienced the cold?  A better word would be "survived" the cold!  The first 4 months, I sipped on boiled water, micro waved my cotton socks, and kept a hair dryer next to my bed when the electric blanket wasn't enough.  At seven months out, the continual drippy nose is subsiding along with the cold feeling. 

michelle M.
on 7/11/13 4:09 pm - oakdale, PA
RNY on 01/17/13

I was freezing for several months after.  I had my TSH tested and sure enough it was way low.  It seems that surgery really affects my levels.  My endo had to adjust my thyroid meds several times.  It seems that the gastric bypass really affects the absorption  of the meds.  I am now on 162.5 mcg of nature thyroid. It is a really high dose.  My endocrinologist couldn't believe how much she had to adjust the dose.  I was losing wt slowly after the surgery and the adjustment of the synthroid really helped to bring my weight loss closer to normal.  I am at 6 months and am not nearly as cold.  I'd say i am almost normal.  haha  I am losing 7 to 10 lbs a  month now.  Good luck and don't wait to get the numbers checked.  You really will feel better overall.

Michelle

Ericka K.
on 7/11/13 6:38 pm
Michelle- I had a total thyroidectomy for ca and am on 200 mcg a day before surgery. If RNY really screws up the absorption of the medication I can only imagine the dose I will be on now. Good to know being cold is just part of post op.
Candy V.
on 7/11/13 8:52 pm - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

I am 10 months post op.  Freezing all the time still!  I love to sit out on the deck in the sun.  No one else in my family will stay out there with me, they say it is too hot, but it feels wonderful to me.  Lost all my insulation LOL

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

Silverbelle69
on 7/11/13 9:08 pm - Midlothian, VA
RNY on 06/05/12

11 months post op and freezing to death!!!  It is very uncomfortable.  I take 200mcg Synthroid but my levels came back fine.

ToNewBeginnings
on 7/11/13 9:46 pm

I'm almost 3 years out and  I'm freezing all the time.

Most Active
Recent Topics