Nauseous during showers?

kelly.elizabeth
on 7/4/13 10:12 pm - KY

Okay, this is probably a really weird question, but every time I shower, I get extremely nauseous. I start gagging and heaving with every breath and I do that until I get out of the shower and sit down. It's getting to the point where all I have time to do is shampoo my hair before I can stand the gagging anymore. Did anyone else have this problem? I'd just like to find out why I'm doing this! 

Laura in Texas
on 7/4/13 10:25 pm

Weird. Pre-op, I had this problem daily. For years I would get nauseous, just like you described. I never asked my doctor about this, although I should have. I have not had this problem at all since my RNY almost 5 years ago.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

surfmind
on 7/4/13 10:31 pm
Ru getting in enough fluids?I was getting dizzy and and nauseous if took a hot bath or shower .Ended up leaving the door open. Surgeon said not enough liquids. ..sure enough that was the problem. .
poet_kelly
on 7/4/13 10:42 pm - OH

Is the water too hot?  Sometimes that can cause changes in blood pressure that could cause dizziness.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Miamos
on 7/4/13 10:51 pm - OH
I had this happen early out. It happened in the shower and one time grocery shopping. I would get weak and nauseous and feel like I was going to pass out . After it would happen in the shower I would just be exchauted and would have to lay down. Called the doctor and they said my it sound like my sugar level was dropping and my body was trying to adjust to surgery. Told me to make sure I ate first thing inthe morning and to carry crackers with me. She explained it like this you don't eat all through the night so your body has no fuel (food energy) to run of in the morning so when you get up and you try to use that enengry by excerising or taking a shower your body is trying to keep going and can't. I did what she said, and as I was able to add my food back into my diet it went away.
molly3613
on 7/4/13 11:25 pm - TX
RNY on 01/24/13
Well I had exactly the same thing happen to me. I would get shampooed and hair rinsed, soap up then the nausea would hit me. It was a race to rinse off, hop out and stagger to the bedroom and lie down for 15 minutes. I felt weak, nauseous and my heart was racing. Then gradually it subsided and I went back and dried my hair, moisturized and dressed. I asked the doc and no answer other than the ever popular blood sugar. So I keep a bag of low fat wheat thins in a zip lock in the night stand. I would wake, eat 8 of them slowly, lie there 10 minutes or so then hit the shower. Much much better but I would still have to lie down after the shower for a few minutes to pull it back together. Very weird indeed. Now, 5 months out, it no longer is an issue. I never really got an explanation. Blood sugar sounds reasonable though. Try eating something a little carby and see how you do. This too shall pass.

heather_leigh1990
on 7/5/13 12:49 am

I dealt with this before and after surgery. At least for me, it is low blood pressure. when you stand under the ho****er, your veins dilate and your blood pressure drops quickly. This happens especially if you take your shower in the morning. Your blood pressure is already lower in the morning from laying down all night and then if you get in the shower right away it drops even more. I've passed out and gashed up my back and head on the faucet and side of the tub before, no fun. It really helps me to eat breakfast first and wait about an hour before hopping in the shower.

BWB
on 7/5/13 2:04 am

Learned something today!   Thanks.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 384 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 357 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 321 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 132 views