Straw users!!

lovedbymany09
on 7/5/13 2:14 am - NC
RNY on 06/03/13

Hello Everyone,

I'm almost 6 weeks out and I haven't been drinking from a straw since surgery. When am I able to go back to using a straw? I miss my straw!!!

The race isn't given to swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...Be Blessed!!!

poet_kelly
on 7/5/13 2:17 am - OH

There is no reason you can't drink from a straw now.  A few people find that using a straw causes them to swallow air and gives them uncomfortable gas, and if that happens to you, then you might want to forego the straw.  Otherwise, there's no reason not to use one now.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 7/5/13 2:28 am
My doctor said I would never be able to use straws again
He stressed to my husband after my surgery that the no use of straws was an absolute must not. I know others have posted you can use them but I feel it best to listen the my Doctor.
(deactivated member)
on 7/5/13 2:31 am
poet_kelly
on 7/5/13 2:37 am - OH

Why does your doctor recommend against using straws?

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

BellaNY
on 7/6/13 7:55 am

I think it has to do with getting air in your stomach. We were also told not to use straws. I've never used them, so don't remember the reason why.

(deactivated member)
on 7/5/13 2:41 am
(deactivated member)
on 7/5/13 2:43 am, edited 7/5/13 2:46 am
Sorry it said none of those posts went through and I dont know how to delete them (i found the delete :-) ). He says the extra air that comes into your pouch takes up room and you will not get your full food intake causing people to be hungrier more often which causes over eating or even grazing. And it can cause extra gas issues as well.
poet_kelly
on 7/5/13 2:48 am - OH

Most people are advised not to drink with meals after RNY.  If I'm not drinking with my food, how would extra air keep me from getting my full food intake?  Or are you saying that the air would stay in my pouch and prevent me from being able to eat even much later on?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/6/13 12:39 am - OH

So your surgeon believes that food, which has weight, does not have the power to displace a little bit of air in your pouch?  I would ask him about that one. Perhaps he has simply just parroted something he was told without really thinking about it... or perhaps he hasn't taken time to consider the Physics involved (which say that isn't true).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.