Meal Replacements (delivery) suggestions?

kinny09
on 7/5/13 9:58 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

Hi,

I was wondering for those who prefer frozen/pre-portioned meals for convenience and food control sake, do any of you order online/have a favorite store you purchase from? If so, what do you typically order/recommend? I'm 3.5 weeks out and allowed "real food" now (excluding tougher meats like steak, etc. allowed if very tiny bites and tender). I'm looking for foods like pre-packaged chilli, soups, chicken/pasta type meals that are bariatric diet friendly. Thanks!!

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

poet_kelly
on 7/5/13 10:09 am - OH

I'm not sure you're going to find any that are bariatric diet friendly, especially not pasta.  Most frozen meals are really high in sodium and many are  high in carbs.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/5/13 11:01 am - OH

I have not seen frozen pre-packaged items that are "bariatric friendly", and as Kelly already pointed out, the regular ones have a lot of sodium.  They also almost all come with some kind of "white carb" (pasta, rice, mashed potatoes) and have tons of chemicals as preservatives.  I occasionally have one just for the convenience, but even at over 5 years out, I never eat more ham 2 bites of the pasta/rice/etc.  I mostly just eat the protein and end up throwing the rest away, which is wasteful and makes me feel a bit guilty.

I would suggest investing in a vacuum sealer so you can make your own foods and the seal them in small portions that will keep several weeks in the fridge and several months in the freezer.  You can get one for about $80.  It also is useful for keeping cheese from getting moldy or drying out (here cheese blocks are significantly cheaper in the bigger sizes), freezing fruit for smoothies, and for marinating protein (my favorite is chicken in RF Italian dressing) in a couple of hours instead of overnight to truly get it into the meat.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

PetHairMagnet
on 7/6/13 10:12 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

I make my own pre-portioned meals, mark them and store them in the freezer. That way I am not eating a ton of sodium, carbs and who knows what else and I am getting exactly what I know I need and nothing I don't. :)

Lora's advice to get a food sealer is something I hope you will really consider. Makes a world of difference to be able to pack your own food in a good, protective wrap.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 266 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 313 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 330 views