Gluten Free

abrannume
on 7/9/13 4:50 am - willingboro, NJ
RNY on 04/04/12

I don't understand the whole gluten free thing.  If it's gluten free does that mean it's better for us.  So for instance a better choice for bread would be a gluten free bread vs regular bread. and if i was baking, i could use a gluten free baking mix vs using regular flour? 

poet_kelly
on 7/9/13 5:00 am - OH

Gluten free is better for people with celiac disease, gluten allergies, or gluten intolerance.  Otherwise, no, it's not better.  It does not mean lower in fat or calories or sugar, or anything like that.  Sure, you could use a gluten free baking mix instead of regular flour.  The taste and/or texture of your baked goods might come out differently than you are used to.  But it would not necessarily be healthier for you just because it was gluten free.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

abrannume
on 7/9/13 5:17 am - willingboro, NJ
RNY on 04/04/12

What about other types of flour like almond flour and rice flour, better choices than white and wheat flour?

poet_kelly
on 7/9/13 5:20 am - OH

I guess it depend on what you mean by "better." 

Typical white flour IS wheat flour.  It's just processed until all the wheat germ is removed and bleached to make it white in color.  "Whole wheat" flour has the wheat germ in it, although unless it says "whole grain," it might be a mixture of whole wheat and white flour.

I would guess almond flour would be higher in protein than rice or wheat flour, but I'm not positive about that and I'm too lazy to look it up right now.  You could google the nutritional stats for various types of flour and see what would best meet your needs.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/9/13 5:37 am

some people may do better on gluten free diet. I know I do.  I get more gas when I eat food with gluten. Some items we don't thing about (meatball, sauces, thick soups, breading on cheese sticks, or wings..) I don't need to know gluten was in the food.. I get reaction then I think what may caused that.. (i.e. meatballs, Chinese food sauce) 

Limiting gluten also helps with my RH.. (reactive hypoglycemia) I probably have gluten sensitivity - but I have not been tested for that.. I don't want to spend money and time for docs and labs. I know I feel better when I am gluten free.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

BellaNY
on 7/9/13 5:45 am

I've been on a gluten-free diet (due to celiac disease) since 2001. I get pretty sick when I ingest gluten and it is an autoimmune response.

Gluten is what gives bread the elastic quality when you knead it and manipulate it. Gluten-free bread does not do that. Gluten-free bread is heavier and denser in calories. It is also a whole lot more expensive. It also doesn't have a lot of fiber, because you are using rice flour or bean flour. If I had a choice, I would go for a whole wheat bread in moderation.

There are a group of people that do better on a GF diet. Some people believe it is less inflammatory and it helps with arthritis and other diseases with inflammation. As other responders have said, a GF diet can also reduce bloating and stomach pain.

Personally, I love the new trend to GF diets. It means there is a lot more awareness and products available!

Katie K.
on 7/9/13 8:34 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13

I do better off gluten. I get neurological effects from it. I think I might have a threshold and am hoping that I can stay under it now that I'm postop. I'm afraid to eat any breads (too early for me anyway) because I looooove bread. And pasta. Hopefully I will never have enough room for it.

Ladytazz
on 7/9/13 12:16 pm

All I know is that I have been gluten free since my surgery nearly 3 years ago and compared to before my revision, after my first WLS when I ate a diet predominately refined carbs (and lots of things with gluten) I am doing much better.  Practically no intestinal issues, no cravings, weight is lower then it ever has been since I have been an adult and stable with no real effort on my part other then being sugar free and gluten free.  If it works don't fix it is what I say.  

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

K. L
on 7/10/13 12:43 am
RNY on 08/20/12

Like many other posters, I feel much better when I eat gluten free because it cuts out a lot of bread, pasta, dessert, fried and other of those type foods.However, when I try to eat gluten free bread I find it to be VERY heavy in my pouch.

Most Active
Recent Topics