Pain Management and other things...

Brandies
on 7/10/13 12:54 pm - IL
RNY on 06/18/13

Hello Vets and Newbies alike!

I'm 22 days post op (RNY) AND most of my pain is gone, with the exception of this one incision spot on my upper left side. It really is a constant bother.

I'm prescribed Hydrocodone (sp?), but it really doesn't last long and it's a drug I'd like to be done with. I've been cleared to take IB Profren which works better, but still not a lengthy relief either plus I need more than 2400 milligrams a day because I need to sleep without the constant nagging pain. 

I was told that this is a common issue among Laproscopic RNY'ers, but I'm starting to feel depressed. It's always hurting to some degree. Am I expecting to much? I feel like maybe I am, but I also feel really stressed about the persistence. 

As for the other things... Any hope you have to lend is much appreciated. 

illinois Gama D.
on 7/10/13 1:08 pm

Holy Cow, YOU cannot take ibuprofen , it will cause ulcers, I think you need to double check with your dr at this point,  the biggest amount of work was on the left side and is a common complaint of the pain, seems to be the last to go away, try Tylenol until  you check in with the dr, I will be amazed if he  really wants you on NSAIDS, ultimate nono for us. PLUS that is a HUGE amount to take, You are setting yourself up for ulcers, and they are nooooooooo fun. good luck to you.

Rny 2003

come join the new R&R 3.0, where the fun is:)

jrjohnsonrn
on 7/10/13 1:12 pm - IA

I agree, stay clear of the ibuprofen, lots of research indicates this is will cause ulcers for us.  Try a hot or cold pack.  They may not last long but it will help with the pain.  The heat actually increased blood flow to the area it is applied to which can help with the healing process.

mzlaura
on 7/10/13 1:19 pm - Litchfield, NH
RNY on 03/05/13

Ummm you should not be taking ibuprofen its an NSAID your surgeon didn't tell you this? It's off limits forever with RNY yikes! Stop taking immediately.

HW: 401  SW: 297  CW: 200.8
RNY gastric bypass surgery on March 5th, 2013

poet_kelly
on 7/10/13 3:38 pm - OH

The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery recommends NEVER taking NSAIDS like ibuprofen after RNY due to the risk of ulcers.  Did your surgeon tell you it was OK to take ibuprofen?  If so, I would ask him why he disagrees with the ASMBS on this topic.  And if you've been taking more than 2400 mg ibuprofen a day, I'd be seriusly concerned about possible damage already done.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Brandies
on 7/10/13 8:55 pm, edited 7/10/13 8:57 pm - IL
RNY on 06/18/13

Because I'm sooooo sleepy right now I can't properly express my gratitude. 

It's a nurse at my surgeon's office, who cleared the IBP. Geesh, I'll call them today and move to Tylenol immediately. I'm so happy I checked these post prior to taking a morning dose. 

Also I'd only been doing it for two days, and I was saying that I caped it at 2400 but my side would hurt all night long but I didn't want to exceed it.

Thank you. 

poet_kelly
on 7/10/13 8:58 pm - OH

Wow.  Please let your surgeon know the next time you see him or her what the nurse is telling patients.  I'm wondering how many of their patients end up with ulcers.  I'm guessing quite a few.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/10/13 10:15 pm
When I was early out - I used to take Tylenol during the day and would take one hydro code at night (sometimes with an additional Tylenol - as long as my daily dosage of tylenol did not exceed recommended safe dosage) That allowed me to rest at night. Taking benadryl (generic allergy) helped with my nausea due tho the pain pill ... And with sleep.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

kinny09
on 7/11/13 12:15 pm - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

You cannot take ibuprofene, especially this early out with a pouch still healing...I was on Percocet around the clock till about 3 weeks, my pain was really terrible. After that I reserved it just for bedtime and extra strength tylenol during the day and that seemed to work fine. Ask your doctor if there's another pain med they can switch you to but otherwise you're still really early, I'd just take what you were prescribed until your pain is under control.

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

Most Active
Recent Topics