Frustrated with Food- does it get better?

alisluv
on 7/19/13 10:15 pm - Carolina Beach, NC

I really hate to complain (because after all, I DID choose to have this surgery!), but I would love to hear some advice/stories from people who may have experienced the same thing.

I'm 4 weeks out, and in the soft foods stage (but encouraged to "try" things as I can tolerate them). However, NOTHING tastes good, even things I used to like. I can only eat 1 or 2 bites of something, then I stop because it just has no flavor, and of course my pouch fills up quickly, too.  I'm doing the typical things like pudding, soup, eggs, yogurt, cheese, and have tried bites of very moist shredded chicken or white fish, mashed potatoes, etc. - but nothing I try keepes me eating.  I'm SICK of protein shakes but know that I have to get the protein in some way, and that's about all I can seem to tolerate.

Does it get better? I'm worried that I'm not getting enough calories/protein, and even more concerned that I will never like the taste of food again! I know that's unreasonable, but - how long did it last for any of you who might have experienced this? I've even tried tasting things like pizza (just the cheese off the top), or french fries, etc. - only to find they are not good.

Excuse the whining - and thanks for any insight and/or encouragement!!

Kim

Karens62
on 7/19/13 10:32 pm - NC
RNY on 02/26/13

It does get better. After any anesthesia, many people are turned off by the taste if food and this wasn't just any anesthesia. Keep trying variety and try mixing it up by having a bite of several things at each meal rather than the mindset that since you can only eat 1/4 cup, then it should all be the same thing. Also, go for highly flavored things. Spicy, heavily flavored things were more appealing to me. 

And don't forget to track your food so you're sure you're getting enough protein in. Hang in there!

HW - 319, SW - 303.5 

(deactivated member)
on 7/20/13 12:31 am
I am 4 weeks out as well and we went on vacation and like you I was encouraged to try eating different things and although I never "got sick" or dumped I had a horrible time eating while on vacation it seemed as though everything I tried made me nauseaous and I would have to go back to the hotel and lay down. I don't think my pouch would tolerate anything remotely spicy it is still too tender. Believe it or not I could not wait to get home and get back to my protein shakes and mashed potatoes (made very creamy with chicken broth) and my sugar free pudding! I couldn't wait too get out of that stage but after being on vacation I couldn't wait to get back home to it.
Joyceebaby
on 7/20/13 1:02 am
RNY on 11/29/12

Yes it gets better.  I know these first few weeks/months seem LONG, but they actually pass relatively quickly.  You are in the first phase.  You will be learning what you can and cannot tolerate.  Try things several different times over the next few months.  Just because you don't like or can't tolerate a certain food right now, doesn't mean you won't like or tolerate it in a few weeks.  So just give it another try a few weeks later.  

Hange in there...it does get better :)

plum21
on 7/20/13 2:29 am - Miami, FL

Took me about six months to get better with food. Use this time wisely to help establish good eating practices, before you know it you'll be able to eat anything and everything, but hopefully by then you will choose NOT to eat everything. Why would you WANT to eat French fries or pizza when you know they're not healthy choices. 

Pre RNY I ONLY ate junk food - pizza almost every day and fast food, too. I haven't been to a fast food place since my RNY - in 3 years - they're disgusting to me now. (I had to MAKE them become disgusting to me) and I will allow myself a slice or two of pizza occasionally. I know what got me fat and I don't want to repeat that.

If you don't know a lot about nutrition learn some. I didn't know a thing, not what a carb was or anything, and I certainly don't know it all, but I'm learning and I'm learning to make better choices all the time.

Good luck.

kinny09
on 7/20/13 4:01 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

My biggest suggestion, especially with the tender meats and beans, is to season, season, season. For instance I'm not an egg eater, but I am if it has just enough spices/pepper/onion (if it were plain, count me out!). I take 1 egg, 1/4 cup fat free shredded cheese (I use a mexican blend). When I'm mixing the egg in a bowl I put in a dash of pepper, a pinch of salt, a little cayenne and a lot of dried onions. It's a great flavor, and none of those seasoning add anything calorically so feel free to experiment. Tonight I'm going to try some stuff with curry powder and skillet chicken breast chopped up. I agree with another pp'er, I do like things spicy/flavorful, but that's always been the case for me. I would not really bother with things like potatoes or start trying french fries (that would be a big trigger for many, not sure if it is for you or not). Just focus on protein and most importantly, really try hard to make it taste good! My favorite website which is FILLED with bariatric food recipes for all stages is:

http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/p/foodie-resources_8.html

You will still need to calculate your own nutritional profile from the meals you might make from there as they don't lay that out for you, but everything suggested is bariatric friendly.

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

Katie K.
on 7/20/13 8:29 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
There's not much, if any, protein in mashed potatoes. That would be the last thing on my plate if I was far enough out to add it. I think that comes in a couple of months. Someone suggested putting unflavored protein in mashed potatoes. Sounds better, but that's still loads of starchy carbs.

aseg21
on 7/20/13 9:30 am - Miami, FL

It gets about 90,000 times better! kiss

A lot of things seemed repulsive at first - like, um, all food. I wanted nothing and I was scared to eat almost anything as well. Fortunately, it got so so so much better. At one point, I was buying these tiny vials called Protein X and just dropping them like shots instead of eating because I just couldn't stand the thought of putting food in my mouth. 

Some helpful hints:

I found spicy food more appealling

Spices in general became my friend for jazzing up potatoes etc

Greek yogurt has a ton of protein and it can just be swallowed, no chewing or real tasting required

Click protein tastes like coffee.. still love coffee

Mexican food sat pretty well with me - there is typically not a lot of sugars in the meats etc, unlike most Asian cuisine

Lowest Weight: 145 lbs
Current weight: 148.6 lbs

Total Loss: 226 lbs

alisluv
on 7/20/13 12:10 pm - Carolina Beach, NC

Thank you everyone for the thoughtful replies!! I'm very much encouraged by your stories - especially that it WILL get better. Because even though my mis-use of food is to blame for my weight, I know that food itself is NOT the culprit. I don't want to end up HATING food  - I truly want to learn to eat right, eat appropriately, and maintain a healthy lifestyle. So knowing that osmeday food will be my 'friend' again is heartening!

I really appreciate the insight and wish you all great success along your journeys!

Kim

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 334 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 372 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 236 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 102 views