Calcium has been low since surgery. Suggestions?

Jilly Bean
on 7/23/13 5:39 am - IN
RNY on 07/09/12

I am 1 year post-op and just got my labs back. My calcium (PHT) is low and I can't get it to increase.  All the other lab values are wonderful.  I take my supplements (3 Citrate Petites a day or 1200 mg) and a separate Vitamin D supplement.  Any suggestions?  I don't eat much yogurt or drink much milk so I guess I could try that.  I just don't want to end up with osteoporosis. 

Great news is that my fasting glucose has dropped from 100 to 87.  My HbA1c from 5.7 to 5.1.  My cholesterol from 215 to 157!!!  

Thanks in advance.

Jill

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

cajungirl
on 7/23/13 5:42 am

Jill are you talking about PTH?   You want it low with your D being high.  When your D gets low and your PTH goes up it means your body is leaching calcium from your bones.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

poet_kelly
on 7/23/13 5:43 am - OH

The calcium level in your blood doesn't mean you aren't taking enough calcium, because usually if you aren't taking enough calcium you will leach it from your bones to keep the level in your blood good.

However.  The ASMBS says we need 1500 to 2000 mg calcium citrate a day.  When you say "citrate petites" are you talking about the Citracal petites?  Those only have 200 mg per tablet.  A serving has 400 mg, but a serving is also TWO tablets.  So if you take three a day, you are only taking 600 mg calcium a day.  You need 900 to 1400 mg more than that.

So I would increase your calcium citrate accordingly.

What's your vitamin D level?

And when you say your "calcium (PHT)" is low, what is that?  Did you mean PTH, which is parathyroid hormone?  That's related to calcium, sort of, but it's not the same as calcium.  I don't know what PHT is.

Did you have your bone density scan yet?  The ASMBS recommends one at one to two years post op, and that is what will really tell you about your calcium intake and the state of your bones.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

SarahLee1969
on 7/23/13 11:04 am - NY
How low is your calcium, what is your PTH and D?
Jilly Bean
on 7/24/13 11:12 am - IN
RNY on 07/09/12

Yes, I meant my PTH. I am all messed up. My PTH is high. It is 87 pg/ml. My calcium is 8.9. My vit D is 44. Yes, I am taking Citrical Petites and not enough either. I will increase that. Thank you. Should my PTH concern me?  I will meet with my surgeon next month. He cancelled our last appt as he went on vacation. 

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Most Active
Recent Topics