Feel like nobody understands

kelly.elizabeth
on 7/26/13 7:43 am - KY
I keep having random and uncontrollable gagging and heaving whenever I stand up and start moving around. I've had an endoscopy done and my surgeon said there's nothing wrong with me and that I just have to get through it. I don't understand how I'm supposed to do that. I've tried different breathing techniques to keep from gagging and nothing works. I feel like nobody understands what I'm going through and how miserable I am. I can't even stand up long enough to shower or fix food for myself. Has anyone been through this, too?

angeleigh
on 7/26/13 8:21 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

Are you having any issues with being dizzy? I know when I get vertigo I get the gagging and feel like i got really drunk the night before. Almost like a hang over. Heck i have had days where I crawl to the bathroom because standing makes me sick. If that sounds like what is going on more, you might want to go to a Ear, Nose, and throat doctor to do a Tilt test. Also they should of given you Zofran or something to help with the nausea.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

kelly.elizabeth
on 7/26/13 8:26 am - KY

I'm not dizzy or anything. They gave me Zofran that you put under your tongue, but the fruit flavor makes me gag. I can't win for losing!

angeleigh
on 7/26/13 8:40 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

It is possible that you are having low blood pressure and nausea from dehydration, over active vagus nerve, anemia (or if you are sexually active, pregnancy). The treatment for these different causes is varies wildly, so it is important to get to the root of the cause. In the meantime, keep well hydrated. If you have any fainting, black or bloody stools or abdominal pain, or other concerning symptoms, you need to go to the ER right away.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

rocky513
on 7/26/13 8:44 am - WI

Are you getting enough fluids?  If you are dehydrated... you will feel  stomach sick.  Make sure you are drinking at least 64 oz everyday.  When I was early out, I couldn't drink cold liquids.  I drank a lot of hot tea.  Peppermint tea soothed my upset stomach.  I have to drink 120 oz  of fluid daily...or I get symptomatic.  Everyone is different.  Try upping your fluid intake and see if it helps.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

(deactivated member)
on 7/26/13 10:28 am - CA
RNY on 03/22/12

It's possible that you've now met someone "who does understand", somewhat depending on when you had your surgery. So, looked at your profile and could not determine when that took place. WHEN DID YOU HAVE YOUR SURGERY? If it was somewhat recent, I have an idea of what you may be speaking about because it happened to me. Your description of gagging and heaving?.....have you ever suffered from anxiety? In my case, I had suffered from it but not for many years leading up to the surgery. In fact, I had quite forgotten what the physical symptoms of that anxiety took,. Then, THEN,..literally moments after the general anesthesia began to wear off, I was gagging and heaving,...yep, it was back, full on,...anxiety taking a physical form. It's gone away now, thank god. I am 17 months out, but if I am right about what you might be experiencing,..if you are only recently through your surgery....? The hormones become so disturbed, shaken awake, that it can bring on issues of severe anxiety which can manifest in a physical discomfort such as you've described. It sucks, it was and is horrible. But just know this, if I am on to something and you are experiencing my same physical discomforts,...it does not last. It will go away as the hormones return to a natural calmed downed state. Even if you've not before had an anxiety disorder, I think one can manifest at anytime. I only recognized what was happening due to my anxiety history. Hang in there, this too shall pass

kelly.elizabeth
on 7/26/13 10:31 am - KY

I had my surgery June 11th. My surgeon had talked about trying anti-anxiety meds, but then changed his mind because of my age. I'm 19 and think I can handle medication. I'm glad someone finally understands!!

(deactivated member)
on 7/26/13 1:34 pm - CA
RNY on 03/22/12

Hey, sweetie,

I do understand,...whether it is the same distress I experienced or something quite different. I would take some deep breathes, even though I can tell you that won't eliminate the physical symptoms, but while breathing,...just know that within a short period of time, (a few weeks), this will pass, it will go away on its own and leave you . I can tell you that I was actually using a spoon or a toothbrush to facilitate my need to gag. Thinking I had to burp, release air,...it was extreme anxiety. What you've been through is nothing but an extreme anxiety producing life change. Add the hormonal shifts we undergo,...and ,...well,...you are off and running. You are going to be ok. You may be uncomfortable for awhile, but since you've checked with your surgeon and he has said he finds nothing to be concerned with, try to rest, get your required liquids, and calories. In other words, self care. You are going to be fine, you're going to be great. Hang in there.

Brenda

poet_kelly
on 7/26/13 11:20 am - OH

Well, there is something wrong.  Uncontrollable gagging every time you stand up is not normal.  Perhaps the endoscopy didn't show anything wrong but the endoscopy only looks at your esophagus, pouch, stoma, and maybe the upper portion of your small intestine.  It will not, for instance, show any type of neurological problem (something wrong with your nerves or brain).  I would see another doctor.  Obviously something is wrong.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

kelly.elizabeth
on 7/26/13 11:35 am - KY

I'm calling my family doctor Monday morning. This all has gone on too long!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 384 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 357 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 321 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 132 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 109 views
Recent Topics