Feeling Frustrated

Ericka K.
on 7/24/13 10:23 pm

Im 17 days post op today.  I have only lost 11 pounds.  Granted I came home from the hospital 5 pounds heavier but still.  I have no appetite but I am still getting in my 60 g of protein.  I drink more than I ever have but do fall 10-20 oz shy of the 64 oz Im supposed to get every day.  I havent cheated.  Im exercising 3-4 times a week, just walking on the treadmill at an incline of 2.5-3 and 3.0 speed.  I burn about 200 cal in 30 mins.  Im eating an average of 300-400 calories a day.  I have no clue what Im doing wrong.  I feel like I had this major surgery to help me do what I couldnt do alone and it's still not working.  I see people posing about losing 20-30 pounds by week 3 (congrats to them!) and I wonder what is wrong with me.  I go to see my surgeon tomorrow and plan on discussing this with him but right now I feel like a big fat failure.  Thankfully I go see my therapist in about 90 mins :) I just cant wrap my brain around how I can only feed my body 400 calories max a day and lose such little weight.  I had the BMR testing done prior to WLS and it showed I burn about 1400 cal just sitting.  I dont know....any advice?  Has anyone been in my shoes?

poet_kelly
on 7/24/13 10:33 pm - OH

11 lbs in just 17 days is excellent weight loss.  Nothing is wrong with you, except perhaps you have unrealistic expectations.  My advice is to stay off the scale for a while (like a couple of months) since the fact that you're losing at a normal rate and not a super duper fast rate is causing you so much distress.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Needanewbeginning
on 7/24/13 10:39 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I agree, you also know your what we consider a light weight, someone like me, over 300 lbs well, we loose a lot faster in the beginning. We all balance out closer to goal from what I understand.

Your doing great! Try not to compare to others, this is YOUR journey. angry

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

KarenRaeV
on 7/25/13 12:41 am
RNY on 06/03/13

I wondered what was deemed a "lightweight"  I am 7 weeks out and down 35..including two week liquid diet loss of14  lbs.  Surgery weight of 224.  Am I a light weight as well??

Ericka K.
on 7/25/13 1:31 am

Sounds like you may be.  I also don't know what qualifies as a "lightweight" but doesn't it feel good to be called that?  LOL  I know Im smaller than a lot of people who have this surgery and my doctor expects a 80-100 pound loss which I'm fine with.  If I lost 80 pounds I would be ecstatic!  I also didn't do a 2 week liquid diet so maybe that's where a lot of people are getting a big loss from?  I only had to do clear liquids the day before surgery.  I would have lost my damn mind on a 2 week liquid diet. 

KarenRaeV
on 7/25/13 1:42 am
RNY on 06/03/13

LOL yes it does feel good to think I could be called that ..LOL!!  Antway..I am averaging about 3 lbs a week so I am happy with that.  That means I should meet goal hopefully Oct/ Nov timeframe....but not banking on it ...STALLS will be in my future I am sure!  Happens to most I think!!

poet_kelly
on 7/25/13 1:35 am - OH

I don't think there is an official definition.  I would say probably anyone with 100 lbs or less to lose might be considered a lightweight.  Maybe it's all relative, though.  I mean, if you need to lose 150 lbs, that might seem like a lightweight compared to a bunch of people that need to lose 300lbs or more.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

purpleswingline
on 7/24/13 11:00 pm - Fayetteville, AR
RNY on 08/26/13

Don't be discouraged.  I have found many are counting what they have lost before their surgery in with what they have lost after surgery,  which gives and elevated  number.  To me 11 lbs sounds very good.  I have yet had my surgery.  It will be next month.

RebYitzchak
on 7/25/13 2:22 am - FL
RNY on 04/17/13

When you consider that I started at 463lbs, and in many cases have to lose more than what most of you weighed when you started, then yes, you would be considered a "lightweight" in my book.

You are also not going to lose as much weight as quickly as I will, but there is a good chance that if you follow your program, you will more than likely reach your goal way sooner than I will.

When did any of us lose the amount of weight in a few weeks that we are losing now? We can never measure ourselves against others loss. We simply have to follow our program, and the weight will come off, and all these will be memories that we laugh about when we are posting our before and after pictures.

RNY - 4/17/13     HW - 463  SW - 428  CW - 263

gentlyonward
on 7/25/13 3:22 am - St. John's, Canada
RNY on 08/17/13 with

Try looking at it a different way... 11 pounds may not sound like much to you, but you've already lost 5% of your starting body weight! In 17 days!! you've lost 12% of the excess weight you want to lose... In less than 3 weeks! That is incredible! You're doing great, keep it up. :)

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 225 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 101 views
Recent Topics