Trying something new and could use some advice.

Jules0225
on 7/26/13 1:35 am

Anyone familiar with CrossFit training programs? I have an appointment on Monday. It all seems very intimidating. Don't get me wrong I love Planet Fitness but I need a real trainer. I'm also looking into Boxing/Kickboxing training through a local MMA facility. The CrossFit classes/training is at the same facility. Go to scrantonmma.com and under programs I'm thinking about Boxing, Muay Thai (kick boxing) and the Keystone CrossFit programs. I guess it's really whatever the trainer ends up recommending but this is what I'm interested in doing.... any thoughts or feedback is welcome. I'm actually pretty nervous but after watching ABC's Extreme Weight Loss with Chris Powell and many seasons of NBC's The Biggest Loser I just really think I'm at the point I need a Jillian Michaels, Bob Harper or Chris Powell in my life now. I'm about 70lbs away from my goal weight and around 95lbs from a normal BMI. I am 8 months post op as of July 19th. I need to drop the last 70lbs and tone up as much as possible so I can start looking into skin removal surgery. The excess skin is becoming just as big of a mind F*CK as being obese was. Also, Avon Walk in October... and I want to actually be able to walk the full 39 miles.

Like I said I love Planet Fitness and the trainer they have there I really feel was helpful in guiding me and getting me started but I still feel clueless when it comes to strength training and I just feel like I need someone in my face pushing me forward. I also want to start running but I don't know how to ease myself into it properly. My biggest fear is pushing too hard and having a heart attack. Back in June 2012 right after starting this journey my doctor put me on HCTZ for hypertension. I got dehydrated and my BP dropped and I fainted in Walmart. I thought I was having a heart attack, I was terrified. So basically what I'm saying is I really feel I need to up the intensity of my workouts but I don't feel comfortable or safe doing it without professional supervision. I've explored the personal trainers in the area and just wasn't impressed. This CrossFit program really looks like it's exactly what I want though. Has anyone done anything like this before? Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Height: 5'8", HW: 6/4/12 440lbs, SW: 11/19/12 389lbs, CW: 219lbs 01/01/2014

PetHairMagnet
on 7/26/13 1:52 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I have a friend who is a CrossFit trainer and another who is a certified personal trainer and BOTH have said to wait to do CrossFit until I have more endurance and strength. I am doing 7-8 miles a day on my elliptical and averaging 4 miles a day on my FitBit. They are aware of this and say that I need to be further on my path...and they are both VERY supportive of my desire to get into shape and be healthy, and have recommended other things in the interim.

And I told you all that to tell you this-it might be too soon for CrossFit and you do not want to injure yourself early in your journey. So be sure you are ready for the hard core workout.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

chulbert
on 7/26/13 2:21 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

CrossFit is a quality workout; however, be warned that it is intense and can sometimes drift into the extreme depending on where you go.  Know your limits and don't let the pressure lead you to injuring yourself.  Find a quality trainer, not one who just completed the two-day course.  There is a strong community psychology involved that can be a boon.

Their nutrition advice is best avoided.  I'm being kind.

angeleigh
on 7/26/13 3:34 am, edited 7/26/13 3:35 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

I have been doing crossfit for almost 2 months now. I go once a week, normally saturday mornings. I love it, its hard as hell but after we are done I feel tired, sore but great. You will sweat, you will be sore. Burpees kick my ass every time we have to do them. Sample of a basic crossfit circuit.http://pinterest.com/pin/196821446188172298/

CrossFit Circuit this is a little advanced but something to work up to

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

Jules0225
on 7/26/13 6:16 am
Thanks so much for the replies. It does look intense and I'm not sure if its for me. I figure it wouldn't hurt to meet with the trainer. I know that I need something more than what I'm doing now. This is all new territory for me. I need a trainer to help educate me and bring me to the next level. Like I said my biggest fear is to push myself too hard and hurt myself. I'm getting frustrated because I don't know what I'm doing or how to educate myself. I feel very lost. Anyway I hope this is a step in the right direction for me or at least maybe the trainer can guide me to where I want/need to be.

Height: 5'8", HW: 6/4/12 440lbs, SW: 11/19/12 389lbs, CW: 219lbs 01/01/2014

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 350 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 237 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 341 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 270 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 109 views