First time eating at restaurant post-op

kinny09
on 7/27/13 11:17 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

Hi all,

I'm 6.5 weeks out now and tonight my husband and daughter and I went to a Mexican restaurant as we haven't gone out in quite a long time. I was very, very nervous to order because you just never know what they add into even seemingly healthy foods in restaurants...I ordered a soft shell taco with carne asada steak and onions and guacamole. I remove the shell and ate about 3/4 of the steak (was very tender, small bites) with a bit of the guacamole and that was it, passed off the rest to my 3 year old! Of course I caught myself wondering, what did they marinade the steak in (how many cals, any sugar in there, etc etc) I know it was a small portion but I still had a hard time...I know I will be faced with eating out with my family a million more times in my lifetime, so I guess my question is do you inquire about things like marinades, what is added onto the meat (butter, salt) during cooking, etc.? Or in a case like this, at a Mexican restaurant, would you just eat the protein part of the meal and not overthink it? Thanks!

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

Dcsavvy
on 7/27/13 11:40 am
RNY on 07/19/12

I'm not a vet, but IMHO, don't over think it.  It sounds like you made some pretty good choices for your first time out.  Keep up the good work,

Height: 5'3"; HW 298; SW 279.5; CW 186 GW 160

~  Deb

AR_Queen
on 7/27/13 11:41 am
RNY on 05/29/13

I am almost 8 weeks out, and I try to stick to the "plain" stuff.  We ate out tonight, my hubby ordered a steak and we shared it.  But, I also am trying not to get too wigged out about stuff either.  This is for the rest of our lives, and you have to be able to live your life.  I would say one small meal once in a while that you don't know every single ingredient isn't going to hurt you.

Bibo
on 7/27/13 11:49 am

I agree wth the other posters, I try to ask about added sugars and fat, and eat actual food, and not overly processed items that come in boxes and bags.

kinny09
on 7/27/13 11:58 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

Thanks guys! I really wanted to ask the waiter what is added to the meat, etc. but it's really hard at times to get that information, this waiter seemed a bit clueless. I was originally hoping they had Chili as an option or I could order just a side of beans or something but that was a no-go. Luckily I had no intolerance with the carne asada, I just tried my best to choose the most protein heavy item on the menu and didn't touch the carbs.

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

Day_dream_believer
on 7/27/13 12:41 pm

I usually look at the menu online before I go to the restaurant.  I am much farther out so I can eat almost anything.  Sometimes I am surprised by what seems like a healthy choice is a bad one.  For example I looked up a salad with walnuts, feta cheese, strawberries, and mandarin oranges.I was going to add grilled chicken.  Without the grilled chicken and salad dressing it came to over 600 calories.   

The first few months I often checked out the menu to see if there was even anything I could eat.  I also shared a lot of meals with my husband.  I went for simple meals with protein.  I don't question the servers as I don't think they really know that much about what is healthy and what has been added.  I think you made a good choice.  

nurl
on 7/27/13 10:18 pm
RNY on 05/14/13
I am sitting at the airport heading home from a conference for work. The day before I came here I arrived home from a week in Italy. In one week I go to Galveston for 5 days with my daughter and family. In between I am working/ training at work. At the end of last semester work promoted me to a different job. I tell you all of this because when I had my surgery on May 14, 2013 I had cleared my summer to recuperate , exercise, & and get use to my new eating plan. Well as you can see everything changed. I had to learn very quickly to adapt the best way I could to different situations. And it has worked for me. I always try to get my excercise in, for me it is key. I make the best food choices I can. I always carry protein bars and water with me in case of an emergency As my husband said I am not a happy camper when my blood surgery drops

ebtiger24
on 7/27/13 10:24 pm - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with

In my opinion it depends on how much you eat out. If you eat out 2 or 3 times a month, I would not over think it. Choose the healthier items on the menu and eat an appropriate portion. If you're going to be eating out 2 or 3 times a week, then you're going to have to be very careful.  I personally only eat out about twice a month, as that was a reason I ended up having surgery in the first place. 

Katemae84
on 7/27/13 10:33 pm - IL
I feel ya! I eat in more then I ever have my whole life! But at once a week I do enjoy a meal out (almost 10 weeks post op). I was in Disney after 4 weeks and eating out. I think what most people said is good rule of thumb. Stick to lean meats, and anything grilled is good too. And maybe a little veggie. watch portions and you should be fine. Yesterday I ate a salmon niciose salad. No dressing at half the salmon a bite of egg and green been and gave the rest to my friend. I'm no expert but I think u made a good choice.
Don 1962
on 7/27/13 10:42 pm

You played it right by picking out the protein and leaving the rest to your toddler. 

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 266 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 313 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 330 views