Severe Back Pain

RoxyFoxy
on 7/25/13 8:43 pm - FL

Is Cyclobenzaprine(Flexerin) ok to take after surgery(4 months post op)?

I was prescribed this medication yesterday by my ortho doctor who I saw for the first time yesterday due to upper/middle back pain. X-ray was done but results were not given yesterday.

I took 1 pill(as prescribed) yesterday around 4:30pm and it never helped and was still in excruciating pain all night. I was tempted to go to the ER but didn't think they would see it as an emergency because of  back pain.

I'm sitting here at work now and in very bad pain and meds are only to be taken at night, have tried Tylenol but no help.

Is this some kind of side effect to the surgery?

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/25/13 9:00 pm
That is a muscle relaxant. I am on it right now for my back. Plus pain pills. But I only take them at night. During the easy I take Tylenol.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

PetHairMagnet
on 7/25/13 9:20 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
On July 26, 2013 at 3:43 AM Pacific Time, RoxyFoxy wrote:

Is Cyclobenzaprine(Flexerin) ok to take after surgery(4 months post op)?

I was prescribed this medication yesterday by my ortho doctor who I saw for the first time yesterday due to upper/middle back pain. X-ray was done but results were not given yesterday.

I took 1 pill(as prescribed) yesterday around 4:30pm and it never helped and was still in excruciating pain all night. I was tempted to go to the ER but didn't think they would see it as an emergency because of  back pain.

I'm sitting here at work now and in very bad pain and meds are only to be taken at night, have tried Tylenol but no help.

Is this some kind of side effect to the surgery?

Are you asking if RNY can cause an orthopedic issue? I am going to say the answer is no. You can have back pain without the surgery. Is it possible you are being more active and stretched something or pulled something? You were given a muscle relaxer, which tells me you overdid it in some activity. Flexiril knocks me out, so best not to take during the day. Have you tried a heating pad?

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

BellaNY
on 7/25/13 9:33 pm

I have had a lot of physical problems in the 6 months since my surgery -- including hip and back problems. Physical therapy has helped a lot. My physical therapist said that your center of gravity changes with rapid weight loss, and I think some of the pain has been my body adjusting to walking differently without excess weight. I do take muscle relaxants and pain medication for hip pain, but that was an issue prior to surgery.

We have been to the ER with back pain and I would encourage you to go if you're in that much pain. They are stronger medictions that can be used while you figure out what is wrong.

RoxyFoxy
on 7/25/13 11:34 pm, edited 7/26/13 6:43 am - FL
Just spoke to ortho doctor and X-rays are normal. She said she will prescribe a stronger anti-inflammatory/pain med or I can either go to the ER if pain is worst.

Just noticed the pain med she prescribed is a NSAID! Diclofenac 75mg.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/26/13 1:18 am

NSAIDs - I personally do not recommend. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

mzlaura
on 7/27/13 4:10 am - Litchfield, NH
RNY on 03/05/13

I had excruciating back pain and left leg pain. My X-ray came back normal but my MRI showed a herniated disc. I suggest you ask your orthopedic for a MRI to rule that out.

HW: 401  SW: 297  CW: 200.8
RNY gastric bypass surgery on March 5th, 2013

RoxyFoxy
on 7/27/13 9:50 pm - FL
My ortho didn't seem to concern with my back pain, she said X-ray was normal and that was enough for her. She advise I go to the ER if pain gets worst because it can be internal(lungs) and that's not her department.

On the other hand, the 2nd meds(diclofenac) she prescribed, which is a NSAIDs has helped the pain for a few hours but I take it twice a day with combination of Ranitidine, this was ok to be taken by my surgeon, though I thought NSAIDs were no longer allowed.

If I don't take the diclofenac, the back pain returns at full force, but I know I cannot depend on this pain medication for to long, especially if it can hurt my pouch.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 341 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 257 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 106 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?