After your surgery and your home

poet_kelly
on 8/1/13 8:31 am - OH

I've never heard of a surgeon advising against having visitors or child visitors while recovering.  Obviously if any of the grandkids are ill, you would not want to get too close.  Make sure you wash your hands before eating, messing with your drain (if you have one), stuff like that. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Karen8268
on 8/1/13 8:33 am - NH
RNY on 10/02/12
I would be more worried about germs in the hospital than on your grandchildren! Lol
Seriously though..... Keep "your personal space" clean and you will be fine.aybe you won't have drains at all! My surgeon doesn't use them.

poet_kelly
on 8/1/13 8:42 am - OH

Good point!  Hospitals are full of nasty germs.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jamienichols22
on 8/1/13 8:37 am - MI

Thank you all! I am super nervous because I haven't been through any surgery ever and want to be as prepared as possible.

dessalves
on 8/1/13 9:15 am

I was sent home with drain tube as well and as they said it is not hard to clean but I had major pain because of it. Don't worry about cleaning it, it is really easy!

saterry
on 8/1/13 9:18 am - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

If you saw the @#$% my shoes step in at the hospital everyday if would make you scream devil

At the hospital, keep ALL belongings off the floor and off the sink. Keep toiletries in ziplock bags and use as needed.

Make sure you, your visitors and ALL staff wash their hands before and after treating you.

I recommend alcohol foam spray at the bedside. Use it before you eat and after using the restroom.

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

kinny09
on 8/1/13 9:25 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

I never had drains at all, my surgeon and his team doesn't routinely do them anymore. But I imagine they will send you home with instructions on how to deal with the drains. My friend actually just had a double masectomy and had drains. She had some physical limitations (they wouldn't let her lift her arms above her head, do a lot of twisting, etc). She said they were sore but the pain meds made it fine in between...

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

ebtiger24
on 8/1/13 9:40 am - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with

I had a drain and they removed it before I left the hospital. 

Katie K.
on 8/1/13 9:47 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
I never had a drain.

Louise1974
on 8/1/13 11:51 am

I didn't have drains but I do have two little kids.  I kept a pillow on my belly at all times to give me a little buffer from any potential over exuberance.  Not for sanitary reasons, more for comfort because a big hug or jump from a little one would feel pretty crummy.  I wouldn't like recovering in someone else's house, sorry you have to do that but good for you for taking care of your health and pushing through your discomfort about not being in your own space.  That bodes well for your success!

Most Active