After your surgery and your home

jamienichols22
on 8/1/13 7:49 am - MI

I am planning on having the RNY and was told that they would send you home with drain tubes, my question is with any of you did you come home with them or did they take them out before leaving the hospital? Don't live in my own home at the moment and this really worries me as to here isn't as sanitary as I would prefer! Not dirty just not to my standard lol

Marylynn579
on 8/1/13 7:53 am - Belvidere, IL
I went home with a drain. It was removed one week after surgery. It wasn't painful or hard to take care of, just a giant pain in the butt!
shedevilbecca
on 8/1/13 8:44 am - AZ
RNY on 05/30/13

I have to second that! Mine was not hard to take care of but what a big pain in my butt!!

poet_kelly
on 8/1/13 7:53 am - OH

I did not have drain tubes at all.  Some surgeons use drains routinely, others don't.  Some take them out before you're discharged, others leave them in for a week or two.  Did your surgeon say he uses drains and you'll be sent home with one?

I don't think your home needs to be spotlessly clean, you would just need to keep the drain site clean and protected.  You could keep it covered with clean gauze, for instance.  If you're living in a place that's dirty or unsanitary enough it would pose a risk of infection or something with a drain, I'd be concerned about recovering from major surgery there, with or without a drain.

Can you clean before your surgery?  Would the people you live with be able to keep it clean for a couple weeks post op? Or is there somewhere else you could stay for a couple weeks after surgery?

I'm glad you posted this here and that you felt comfortable sharing your concerns.  I hope you'll share them with your surgeon, too.  I bet it's an issue some other people have dealt with but might have been embarrassed to bring up.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

heather_leigh1990
on 8/1/13 7:59 am

I never had any drain tubes at all

PetHairMagnet
on 8/1/13 8:01 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Who told you they would send you home with drain tubes? People in general or your surgeon? I did not have drain tubes at all, nor did my husband.

And if the home you are staying in is not dirty, what does it matter if you go home with drain tubes or not? Certainly you are in control of how clean your bedding is, are you not?

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

jamienichols22
on 8/1/13 8:06 am - MI

I go on the 29th of August for my consultation and yes I have a list of questions to ask him already :) I would rather be safe then sorry!! My mother in laws house isn't nasty it's just she has a 620 sq ft house and so to me the tightness is clutter. And my fear is the grandkids which are here A LOT bringing germs in. I guess I am letting my fear overcome me because I have a germ thing and if it's not shiny clean to me and everything in it's spot it isn't clean.

jamienichols22
on 8/1/13 8:09 am - MI

Yes I am in very much control of my BEDDING but in someone else's house you will always worry because it's not the way you would have it, and there is 10 grandkids that come in and out daily so that was more my concern as to sanitary not that my home is filthy. I guess I didn't state it the best way 

poet_kelly
on 8/1/13 8:19 am - OH

As long as the kids are reasonably clean (like they bathe regularly and put on clean clothes) I don't see how the grandkids would pose a risk.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jamienichols22
on 8/1/13 8:28 am - MI

Okay that more answers the question because I know kids carry germs especially going to school. If we where in our own place I would prefer not to have company until I was better but that isn't the case. Just me and my germ fear. I was worried about the things that they may bring in as being more unsanitary then the "actual" house like bedding, and bathing and stuff.Sorry I wasn't clear about the unsanitary part

Most Active
Recent Topics